Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial Mash Caramel Porter!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
IrlandeseBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok so here is an update. Brewed it last Sunday (12/5/10) and I justed checked the gravity today. Fermentation looks like it went well...my OG was 1.051 and I have it now at 1.012 so right along the lines of expected. As for the flavor I unfortunately do not have much of a caramel infusion as hoped. Maybe a little sense of it on the tongue mid sip, but it does finish off with a nice malty, slightly chocolate flavor. I find it wonderful regardless as it will be a great brew for the cold days ahead. I believe upping the C120 as recommended and maybe exploring the longer and higher temp steeping time of those as Dick562 suggested may be the ticket. I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board and drink away my sorrows with this "failure" lol...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
IrlandeseBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So for anyone who has looked at this. After two weeks in the keg now the carbination is awesome. I was feeling like it had an interesting flavor almost like iodine when I first keg and tasted it...although it was not carb yet. Now it tastes pretty good. Nice malt character with a coffee chocolate finish. Not really strong just a decent brew. As for the caramel I can't taste a hint of it. So next time I will try to use crystal 120 and look for potential caramel extract to add. If anyone has thoughts or tried their own please let me know! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply