Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial Mash and BeerSmith Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Bonneville
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Partial Mash and BeerSmith Question

Doing a partial mash and using a trial version of BeerSmith. My partial mash technique is:

• Place the grains in 150-155F water for 60 minutes
  • Drain the grains
  • Place the grains into 170-175F degree water for ten minutes in brew pot
  • Drain grains again
  • Combine all water in the brew pot
  • Bring to boil, add extract, etc.

Looking at BeerSmith, I'm not sure what Partial Mash technique describes mine. Single Infusion, No Mash Out, Batch Sparge, etc.

Also, I'm confused by the temps/times in BeerSmith. I selected "Single Infusion, Light Body". It calls for 2.5qt at 161F to step at 150F for 75min. Then 1.6qt of water at 200F (?!?!?!) to step at 168 for 10 min.

Can anyone help me represent my process in BeerSmith (and understand what BeerSmith is recommending because 200F seems nuts)
Bottled: Top Shelf Stout, Big *ss Stout, Apfelwein, Fish Drool Brown Ale, ATC Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
yermej
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say to click 'Mash Profiles' in the tree thingy on the left side of the screen (or select 'Mash Profiles' from the View menu). Then click 'New Mash Profile' which will appear in the upper left just below the main toolbar. You can then enter whatever temperatures/steps you want.

When it tells you to add 161 F water, it's calculated that adding that to grain will result in an overall temp of 150 F. Then, by adding 200 F water, the final temp should come to 168 F. If you're keeping your water on the burner to maintain the right temp, you might not need to worry about this. You just won't have the mash at the correct temp at the very beginning, but it will quickly be brought up to your mash temp.

I think it takes some experimentation to get these numbers to work exactly right as it will depend on your grain temp, ambient temp, and your equipment (mashing in a pre-heated cooler, mashing in a keggle, etc.).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply