Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial mash.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Jbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Partial mash.

I want to up my game and do more then just LME. I have not seen to many kits that have DME in it. Maybe you guys know a site that you can request DME or LME.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

DME won'd increase the quality of your brew. Assuming it's fresh, LME preserves more of the original malt character than the dry stuff. Have you tried steeping some crystal or toasted malts before adding your extract? This can add some nice flavors and beers made in this way win their fair share of ribbons in competitions....

Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Jbird
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus
DME won'd increase the quality of your brew. Assuming it's fresh, LME preserves more of the original malt character than the dry stuff. Have you tried steeping some crystal or toasted malts before adding your extract? This can add some nice flavors and beers made in this way win their fair share of ribbons in competitions....
No I have not done that. So I can just buy some crystal or malts and steep them for like 45min? How much would you say I use for a 5 gallon batch? And it would be ok to do with LME or DME? And any style of beer?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Demus
Recipes 

Pretty much. Search recipe section, there should be lots of "extract with steeped grains" brews. Crystal malt is malt that's had its starch converted in the husk so it's perfect for steeping. 30 minutes at about 155 should do the trick. It comes in many varieties with a number that corresponds to the color in lovibond. 10 is pretty light, 60 medium, 120 dark etc. Flavor ranges from sweet to caramel to roasty. You can also use roasted malts like "special B" and chocolate malt as they don't contribute much fermentables anyway. Depending on style a few ounces up to a pound or two should do the trick. What ya thinking of brewing?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Demus
Recipes 

Again no difference whether it's DME or LME.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Jbird
Recipes 

So I want to brew a nut brown ale. http://morebeer.com/view_product/18337
I was thinking just to add 1 pound of crystal @ 30min.
Let me know what you think of this kit. I would like to add something, anything to make it my own.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Jbird
Recipes 

Ok so the ingredients for this kit comes with steeping grains. I have never bought from morebeer only from monsterbrew and they don't usually have steeping grains. Morebeer.com seems to have it spot on with what I want. It has Crystal 60L so I don't think I'll add anything now after I just downloaded the full recipe.

Still let me know what you think of the kit.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Demus
Recipes 

Looks good, I wouldn't change anything. Nut brown is supposed to be pretty mild and mellow, so adding too much would probably take away from final brew anyway. Looks like a good kit. What's your plan yeast wise? Liquid, dry? Starter, hydrate? Temperature control? I find that proper attention to the needs of the yeast is actually more important than the recipe...

Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Jbird
Recipes 

I'm going to use liquid yeast. I have used dry only for a while just heard good things about liquid yeast. I will watch the temp closely throughout the whole thing.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Demus
Recipes 

Keep in mind that while liquid yeast is generally higher quality, it has fewer yeast cells in a vile or smack pack than a packet of dried yeast. Have you read at all about "starters"? It's a way of increasing the amount of yeast (generally liquid) you are pitching. Most brewers who use liquid yeast also make starters. Your nut brown recipe is fairly low gravity, so you could probably get away without one, but it would still turn out better assuming you executed the starter process properly. If you don't want to take that on and are set on using liquid yeast, I'd recommend Wyeast. Their smack packs at least allow you to see that the yeast is active by swelling a few hours after you pop the internal yeast nutrient bag. For beers of higher gravity, I recommend you learn about making starters, or just use dry yeast...

Quick Reply