partial boil/partial mash+ late extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to brew a modified PM version of Bee Cave IPA.
I have been playing with BeerSmith to get an optimal recipe that would have the same IBU.

Here's the recipe:

3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) - Flame out addition
1.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) - At pre boil
5.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.6 IBU
1.00 oz Warrior [15.80 %] (60 min) Hops 46.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

assuming 70% efficiency
Brewing with 4 gallons pot

The pre boil DME is to raise my pre-boil SG to match with AG recipe pre-boil SG.

It seems that this would work. My question is that will the flameout DME addition at the end of boil dilute the bitterness and flavor profile of the wort?
i.e. - make it sweeter and bland without too much hop flavor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

No, you will be fine. Don't wait until flameout, but last 15 minutes or so to add your LME/DME. I used to do all of my beers this way. I would PM as much grain as I could for a 4 gal boil and then add the rest as LME at the end.

I make my PM recipes similarly - except I've started only boiling the mash and sparge runnings and adding all of the extract at the end (well 10 minutes from the end anyway), in an effort to get a little better hops utilization. I used to add some extract up front and few of the beers came out quite as hoppy as I wanted. They're good, I just want a little more from the hops so my last 2 recipes I saved all of the extract for last. Haven't tasted those yet so I can't really tell if it makes a noticeable difference.

Most of mine are around 5 lb of grains and a 3 gallon boil, so your larger boil should do a little better. Especially for an IPA I'd be inclined to move all the extract to the end but it should turn out fine either way.

No, you will be fine. Don't wait until flameout, but last 15 minutes or so to add your LME/DME. I used to do all of my beers this way. I would PM as much grain as I could for a 4 gal boil and then add the rest as LME at the end.

I bet there is a link on one of the post about grain vs boil volume. I guess the trade off is efficiency. mash in with 1.25qt/#. Sparge with optimum volume to wash off the remaining sugar... (what's the ratio again?)...
I guess I'll use the Search to find the magic number and formula.

I make my PM recipes similarly - except I've started only boiling the mash and sparge runnings and adding all of the extract at the end (well 10 minutes from the end anyway), in an effort to get a little better hops utilization. I used to add some extract up front and few of the beers came out quite as hoppy as I wanted. They're good, I just want a little more from the hops so my last 2 recipes I saved all of the extract for last. Haven't tasted those yet so I can't really tell if it makes a noticeable difference.

Most of mine are around 5 lb of grains and a 3 gallon boil, so your larger boil should do a little better. Especially for an IPA I'd be inclined to move all the extract to the end but it should turn out fine either way.

Nevermind, I use Beersmith again.. Flameout addition and 15 minutes add make no difference on theoretical calculation...I'll do the 15 minutes addition.

Back