Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > partial boil/partial mash+ late extract addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
undallas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default partial boil/partial mash+ late extract addition

Hello,

I'm planning to brew a modified PM version of Bee Cave IPA.
I have been playing with BeerSmith to get an optimal recipe that would have the same IBU.

Here's the recipe:

3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) - Flame out addition
1.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) - At pre boil
5.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.6 IBU
1.00 oz Warrior [15.80 %] (60 min) Hops 46.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

assuming 70% efficiency
Brewing with 4 gallons pot

The pre boil DME is to raise my pre-boil SG to match with AG recipe pre-boil SG.

It seems that this would work. My question is that will the flameout DME addition at the end of boil dilute the bitterness and flavor profile of the wort?
i.e. - make it sweeter and bland without too much hop flavor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Happy Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No, you will be fine. Don't wait until flameout, but last 15 minutes or so to add your LME/DME. I used to do all of my beers this way. I would PM as much grain as I could for a 4 gal boil and then add the rest as LME at the end.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I make my PM recipes similarly - except I've started only boiling the mash and sparge runnings and adding all of the extract at the end (well 10 minutes from the end anyway), in an effort to get a little better hops utilization. I used to add some extract up front and few of the beers came out quite as hoppy as I wanted. They're good, I just want a little more from the hops so my last 2 recipes I saved all of the extract for last. Haven't tasted those yet so I can't really tell if it makes a noticeable difference.

Most of mine are around 5 lb of grains and a 3 gallon boil, so your larger boil should do a little better. Especially for an IPA I'd be inclined to move all the extract to the end but it should turn out fine either way.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 02-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post
No, you will be fine. Don't wait until flameout, but last 15 minutes or so to add your LME/DME. I used to do all of my beers this way. I would PM as much grain as I could for a 4 gal boil and then add the rest as LME at the end.
I bet there is a link on one of the post about grain vs boil volume. I guess the trade off is efficiency. mash in with 1.25qt/#. Sparge with optimum volume to wash off the remaining sugar... (what's the ratio again?)...
I guess I'll use the Search to find the magic number and formula.

Happy Brewing

Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
I make my PM recipes similarly - except I've started only boiling the mash and sparge runnings and adding all of the extract at the end (well 10 minutes from the end anyway), in an effort to get a little better hops utilization. I used to add some extract up front and few of the beers came out quite as hoppy as I wanted. They're good, I just want a little more from the hops so my last 2 recipes I saved all of the extract for last. Haven't tasted those yet so I can't really tell if it makes a noticeable difference.

Most of mine are around 5 lb of grains and a 3 gallon boil, so your larger boil should do a little better. Especially for an IPA I'd be inclined to move all the extract to the end but it should turn out fine either way.
Nevermind, I use Beersmith again.. Flameout addition and 15 minutes add make no difference on theoretical calculation...I'll do the 15 minutes addition.

Happy Brewing

Last edited by undallas; 02-10-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Clarify Beersmith Calculation

Quick Reply