Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Parti-gyle Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
DannPM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Parti-gyle Question

I want to add a 1 lb blend of some character malts (CaraVienne, Special B, & Biscuit) to the second sparge to add some character and body to the patersbier I'm doing with the second runnings from a partigyle (first runnings are for a Golden Strong)

Does anyone see a problem with this? I'm using Wyeast 3711 for it so I'm not concerned about ending with a high FG due to basically not mashing but solubilizing the grain starches of the pound of additional malt-blend. The unmashed starches should just provide a tad more body to what would have been a low-bodied beer, at least that's what I'm thinking. Any problems you can see with this?

Time to have some fun

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

nope sounds pretty normal. other than the biscuit, the others only need to be steeped anyway, and either way you'll still extract flavor/color from it

Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That's one of the common ways to do partigyles.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! Headed to the brew store after work and wanted to be sure!

Time to have some fun

Quick Reply