Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Parti-gyle advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Cal_J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Parti-gyle advice

I am wanting to do a 3-way parti-gyle, 5 gallons each . One thing has me kind of stumped... How do you calculate either manually or in beersmith for 3 beers? I know for 2, you make your efficiency 2/3, 1/3 split big vs small. Do you just take the small beer and re-split it using the same grain bill?Or is it split 3 ways.

Thank you for any assistance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Moonpile

Recipes 

I've only done one partigyle and it was a while ago, but I did use BeerSmith. What I did was create a parent recipe that was as if it were not a partigyle brew at all, but without hops and yeast and stuff to calculate the mash. Then I created two child recipes that were done to calculate the hops. This was with a 40 lb grain bill in a 72qt Coleman Extreme cooler mash tun, which maxxed it out perfectly. The first runnings batch was a 5 gallon batch and the second runnings batch was 10.

I'd be very interested to hear any better ideas.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Cal_J
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I guess I would do a 50/50 split on the 10 gallon batch?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Yes on the 50/50 split. Same as I did for a partygyle barlywine, seemed to work well.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

oh and http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...Gyle_Simulator go here. It was an awesome tool that was pointed out to me when i needed it.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Quick Reply