The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pale Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #21
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Do they make a white coffee bean? Also maybe roast some actual nuts and add them to a pale ale to get some roast and nut character?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

This is an old thread but still popped up on my new posts tab... Last month's issue of BeerAdvocate Magazine had an article on White Stouts, written by Drew Beechum. He talks about how Stout originally meant strong and that u don't need that dark coloring to make it work. If anyone is still interested in the recipe its....

14lb Marris Otter
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb flaked barley
0.5 lb crystal 40L

Single Infusion Mash - 154 degrees for 60 minutes

Your then given the option for a "Mocha" flavoring addition , or just a full hops version. Full hops recipe uses 1 oz of Magnum (14%) for 60 minutes and 1 oz Crystal (3.5%) for ten minutes. If ur going with the Mocha, use only a half oz of Magnum and leave out the Crystal and then add 3 oz cacao extract (2 oz cacao nibs soacked in 6 oz vodka for 4 days, freezed and had the fat cap removed) and 1 pint of cold brewed coffee extract (1 cup ground coffee soaked overnight in 3 cups water).

Yeast he recommends Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

I think this looks like a pretty interesting and simple recipe and im thinking of giving it a go in a few months.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild
indigo Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
chuckstout
Recipes 

Accidental repost sorry!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
lewishowardm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

This looks good. I'm interested in knowing how this comes out. Keep us posted @chuckstout.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
chuckstout
Recipes 

Ok, I gave this a little thought and this is what I came up with I want to stay below 6 srm. I think I may give this a go hopefully before february, sounds fun at least ok heres what I got so far
White Coffee Stout
6lbs 2row
3lbs white wheat
1lb Flaked Barley
1lb Carapils
1lb Macadamian Nuts roasted (mash) and crushed 10L
.5lb rice hulls
.5lb milk sugar
1oz CTZ 40min
White Coffee beans steeped before chilling then strained out
Ferment with Amer.II 1272

5.5G 1.060-1.065sg Mash 156 est. 5srm est.1.016fg

Let me now if can add or sub from this recipe

Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #26
kaz4121
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just read an article in Beer Advocate about "White Stouts". Issue #70 I believe.

The article was pretty interesting. In summary they said the original meaning of stout was "strong" and that has been lost over the years since most people associate stout with blackness, coffee, and chocolate.

It also said there are two approaches, either a strong, full bodied IPA or a pale stout featuring something like cacao and licorice to make it taste more like a true stout.

Here is the recipe they recommended (note the first hop amount will yield a more IPA like beer, the second will yield a more traditional bitterness):

Reclamation White/Mocha Stout
5.5 gallons at 1.078 OG, 57/30 IBUs

14 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Flaked Barley
0.5 lb Crystal 40L

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes

1.0/0.5 oz Magnum 14% AA at 60 minutes
1.0/0 oz Crystal 3.5% AA at 10 minutes

For the mocha version:
3 oz cacao extract or 2oz cacao nibs soaked in 6 oz vodka for 4 days, strain, freeze, and remove fat cap

1 pint cold-brewed coffee extract or 1 cup ground coffee soaked overnight in 3 cups water

Enjoy!

Visit my website for the list of beers in progress

Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #27
chuckstout
Recipes 

I imagine that beer is going to be approching amber to brown in color. Can you get those flavors under 6 or 7 srm i think is the question

Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #28
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz4121 View Post
Just read an article in Beer Advocate about "White Stouts". Issue #70 I believe.

The article was pretty interesting. In summary they said the original meaning of stout was "strong" and that has been lost over the years since most people associate stout with blackness, coffee, and chocolate.

It also said there are two approaches, either a strong, full bodied IPA or a pale stout featuring something like cacao and licorice to make it taste more like a true stout.

Here is the recipe they recommended (note the first hop amount will yield a more IPA like beer, the second will yield a more traditional bitterness):

Reclamation White/Mocha Stout
5.5 gallons at 1.078 OG, 57/30 IBUs

14 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Flaked Barley
0.5 lb Crystal 40L

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes

1.0/0.5 oz Magnum 14% AA at 60 minutes
1.0/0 oz Crystal 3.5% AA at 10 minutes

For the mocha version:
3 oz cacao extract or 2oz cacao nibs soaked in 6 oz vodka for 4 days, strain, freeze, and remove fat cap

1 pint cold-brewed coffee extract or 1 cup ground coffee soaked overnight in 3 cups water

Enjoy!
Lol I just posted this a few spots up
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #29
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Guys, obviously talking about historical stouts wasn't the purpose of this thread. As stated above, "stout" originally meant a stronger beer. In current terms, this is no longer the case. What I was originally asking about was if it was possible to get the roasted, chocolate flavors found in stouts and porters without the color they typically add.

I think we've all made a "pale stout" if you go off the original meaning of the term. I wanted to make something akin to a White Guinness. With that in mind, does anyone know if it's possible to get a hold of some of the husks for carafa? I know the DEhusked Carafa will give color without bitterness/astringency, what i want is the opposite. I want the bitterness and astringency without the color. I figure mashing the husks will give me that. Any ideas?

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #30
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!

Recipes 

I don't believe the husk has any sort of nutrtional or flavor value... the sugar/starches are all inside where the husk covers that part.

Aging:

Quick Reply