Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pale Chocolate, American Chocolate etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Pale Chocolate, American Chocolate etc.

What are the differences in these chocolate malts? I know there are several different kinds but I don't know what flavors and intensity of flavor they will add.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3204 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Other than the obvious SRM color addition difference, to my pallet I find that pale chocolate lends less of a coffee and more of a toasted roast flavor. Smoother flavor than regular chocolate. I like using some with standard chocolate just for a more complex malt "roast".

Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks! I actually did half pale and half regular chocolate in the last stout I did, we'll see how that turns out. I ordered ingredients from BrewMasters Warehouse and I accidently ordered pale chocolate malt instead of chocolate malt so I'll need to use it somewhere, also will have to pick a couple pounds of American chocolate up at a local shop.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This is what I get from AustinHomebrew. I can't find much on English chocolate malt.

"Pale Chocolate" refers more to the color of this malt rather than to its flavor. It is lighter in color than chocolate malt and its flavor contribution will be milder and softer. It does have a rich roasted coffee flavor when used in higher percentages, and that flavor is complimentary to porters, stouts, browns, and other darker beers. Pale chocolate malt can be used in all beer styles for color adjustments with minor to no flavor contributions. The usage rate for darker beers is 1-10% of the total grain bill.

"Chocolate" refers more to the color of this malt rather than its flavor. It does have a rich roasted coffee/cocoa flavor when used in higher percentages, and that flavor is complimentary to porters, stouts, browns, and other darker beers. Chocolate malt can be used in all beer styles for color adjustments with minor to no flavor contributions. The usage rate for porters and stouts is 1-10% of the total grain bill.

Austin Homebrew has great descriptions and I shop with them fairly often.

Quick Reply