The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Paint strainer usage for biab

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I've done a few BIAB batches in my 15.5 gal sanke with the grain bag I mentioned a few posts earlier. I have an insulation jacket I made with reflectix to keep the heat in during the mash. I don't do this very often, though. I usually mash in my Coleman cooler.. If I do BIAB it's usually a small batch (say 3.5 gal more or less) and I use one of my smaller kettles...
The other option for me is 2-vessel brewing, what I did for quite some time. I either used BIAB in the cooler to hold the mash, pull bag, dunk in sparge volume (in BK) and then squeeze, pour runnings into BK from cooler.

Or use the BK as the HLT and collect sparge runnings in a bucket until kettle is emptied of it's sparge water...which is really 3 vessels but only one needs to heat liquid.

I'm electric in the basement right now. If I get a keggle I don't have power for 220v. I could try two 110 elements but the boil would be dreadfully slow and the investment of money (even though not huge) isn't in the books. Cheaper to borrow neighbor's turkey burner for use with keggle and get a craigslist cooler for mash/sparging...or just get a big grain bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #22
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I use a 5 gallon bag from the LHBS that looks like a paint strainer bag to me. In any case, 14 pounds sounds like a lot for a 5 gallon bag. The grains won't stay submerged and will be hard to stir them. I made 2 batches of 9 lbs that I ended up with 85+% efficiency, and then a 14 lb batch that was at 60%. I had a hard time handling all that grain in the small bag.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #23
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
A single layer, or doubled-up? I think the material is pretty strong, but I often wonder about doubling it up and making a really heavy-duty bag.
Single layer, though I did double stitch all the seams. one pass zig-zag, and one pass straight.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #24
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post

I'm electric in the basement right now. If I get a keggle I don't have power for 220v. I could try two 110 elements but the boil would be dreadfully slow and the investment of money (even though not huge) isn't in the books. Cheaper to borrow neighbor's turkey burner for use with keggle and get a craigslist cooler for mash/sparging...or just get a big grain bag.
If you could borrrow a neighbors burner and get a large (cheap) bag then that would be the cheapest option, I would think. You could just mash in the keggle with the large bag and throw some blankets on it to hold the temps. I used to set my keggle in the sun so it wouldn't lose temp as fast.

As far as electric goes.. I'm a bit of a redneck, and I hard-wire my wood floor sander to two 110 circuits in breaker panels in real old homes that don't have 220v. I would probably do that at home if I had a 220v element until I could afford to wire up and build control boxes. I don't recommend that you try this at home, though. I'm just crazy like that!

Old 06-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #25
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've started doubling-up my paint strainer bags during the mash, and it seems to help wort clarity. I still run the mash runoff throw a filter, but it seems like most times, having the two bags seems to filter the mash pretty much on its own.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 06-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #26
Horseballs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Child View Post
I picked up two 5 gallon paint strainer bags from Lowe's for around $3, anyone have any idea how much gain they can handle? I'm thinking of brewing Edworts Robust Porter which is at just about 14 lbs.

Long term I would go with voile material or a curtain, not even sowing it, just clipping to my 9 gallon Bayou Classic.
I just did two BIAB with those bags, an ESB and a Hefeweizen each with an 11 lb grain bill. I think I could have used one bag to handle it, but I wussed out and did a 50/50 split between two bags for the mash, stirring each bag every 10 minutes or so during the boil. Worked fine, hit my numbers exactly.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #27
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've considered putting a paint strainer bag over my SS braid to see if I get a cleaner wort. I already get a very clear wort as it is, but there is always room for improvement!

Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #28
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
I just did two BIAB with those bags, an ESB and a Hefeweizen each with an 11 lb grain bill. I think I could have used one bag to handle it, but I wussed out and did a 50/50 split between two bags for the mash, stirring each bag every 10 minutes or so during the boil. Worked fine, hit my numbers exactly.
In your case the 2 bags was probably the better choice, anyway. It gives the grain enzymes the ability to swim around more and get the job done, so you didn't wuss out IMO..

EDIT: Looking back and reading again, did you boil the grain? Or did you mean you stirred every 10 minutes during the mash?

Old 06-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #29
tnsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

horseballs....did you have both bags in the pot at the same time?...or do 2 differant boils...just trying to learn a bit b4 I plung....Tom

Old 06-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #30
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Would a pillow case be any good as a bag for BIAB?

Quick Reply