Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Paint Strainer Bags

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
sendkyleanemail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Paint Strainer Bags

I am headed to my local Sherwin Williams paint store to grab a few strainer bags. They have 5 gallon size for a buck. Anything I need to be sure of before I buy some for brewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The paint strainer bags I got at my Ace hardware are coarser than the cheesecloth I used to use. Be careful of the amount of draff you get into your boil kettle. Too fine of a crush will cause astringency.

I now just lauter in the bag, with the bag in my bottling bucket. It works fine because I can vorlauf that way.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
kmk1012
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I get the same bags from Sherwin Williams too, I can usually fit about half of my grain bill in one bag(with a zip tie). I have used several crushes from several local and not so local brew shops with zero ill results. My only recommendation would be to remove the paper like tag sewn into it.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
The paint strainer bags I got at my Ace hardware are coarser than the cheesecloth I used to use. Be careful of the amount of draff you get into your boil kettle. Too fine of a crush will cause astringency.

I now just lauter in the bag, with the bag in my bottling bucket. It works fine because I can vorlauf that way.
if using a bag that isn't as course (Voile works great) you can crush it to almost flour consistency and not extract tannins which is what causes the astringent mouth feel. A course bag allows husk to get into the boil and that is what causes it to be astringent.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS