Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Oxygenating Big why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
Wort*hog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Oxygenating Big why?

I keep reading about the need to oxygenate the wort with AG but haven't seen any suggestion on doing it with extract. Whut'z up with that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wort*hog
I keep reading about the need to oxygenate the wort with AG but haven't seen any suggestion on doing it with extract. Whut'z up with that?
It doesn't matter if you are extract or AG brewing. If you are using liquid yeast, the wort needs to be oxygenated.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I officially suggest that you do it.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 01-30-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
Wort*hog

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
I officially suggest that you do it.
Off the record I will

Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4460 Times on 3246 Posts
Likes Given: 868

I think one reason it's emphasized in AG but not extract is because of the size of the boil. In AG, you boil all the wort. This takes the oxygen out of it. In extract brewing, most brewers are boiling 2-3 gallons and then adding water. When I did extract boils, I added tap water and used my sprayer hose. I had tons of foam, and this added oxygen. I also stirred, shook, etc.

But because you can't add water with a full boil, it's even more important to oxygenate/aerate.

Lorena

Old 01-30-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It's all about the type of yeast, not the wort.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
It's all about the type of yeast, not the wort.
Do you mean "it's all about the quantity of yeast"? As I understand it, aeration puts the yeast into an aerobic cycle which causes the cells to reproduce. Picture a bunch of yeast riding stationary bicycles. Ok. That has nothing to do with anything. Anyway, the reproduction phase increases the number of yeasties, but during this time, no alcohol is being produced. It's only when the yeast go anaerobic that they start excreting alcohol.

I think of it as being like our muscles. So long as there is stored oxygen in our red blood cells, we can excercise and whatever, but once our muscles run out of oxygen, and we're breathing as hard as we can, and our oxygen demands out-strip the supply in our blood, then our muscles start using up stored energy. This stored energy can be converted to power without the use of oxygen. And the byproduct is lactic acid. That's what makes your muscles sore after a long work out. Your muscles convert to using a different chemical process to keep you active. Yeast kind of do the same thing, but instead of producing lactic acid in their anaerobic stage, they produce alcohol as their byproduct. This is what brewers depend on.

So, adding oxygen makes the yeast multiply, but it doesn't help you produce alcohol. However, once the O2 is used up, then the yeast stop reproducing and, however many there are, set about eating the sugars for energy and begin pissing out alcohol. Yes, alcohol is a secretion/waste product to the yeast. Imagine a bunch of yeast pissing in your beer. Again, that has nothing to do with anything, it's just what's happening.

So, if you have a starter and a ton of yeast, maybe you're completely happy with them going straight to an anaerobic alcohol-producing phase. However, if you think you don't have enough yeast to kick the butt of any infection that may be trying to take hold, then you want the oxygen there to increase the size of your yeast army. Imagine a bunch of zombies stripping the clothes off of lindsay lohan and giving her much sexual pleasure. That has nothing to do with anything, but it is an amusing thought.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
Brewnurse

Recipes 

I am a big fan of doing what works for you. I have never airated my wort and have never had aproblem yet. i do full boils , I hit all the targeted gravities , and best of all my beers turn out great. I use liquid yeast only so far, maybe that is why? But others here use oxygen and airation stones........that works for them.

Stephen
Primary #1:Apple Cider(x2)
Secondary #1:Honey Stout (10 Gal)
Drinking, Ed's Original Apfelwein, Cheesefood's Ale, Krolsh, Ed's House Ale, Nut Brown
Kegged, B's Honey Wheat

Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wort*hog
Personally, I suggest it on all batches. Even on my partial mash batches, I still aerate, and ever since I started doing it, my attenuation %'s have improved drastically.

As Lorena said, the reason it's not required on extract is because when you boil water, you boil out the oxygen. But since extract batches usually have several gallons of UNboiled water added at the end, there's a good amount of it already there. But as I said, it has never hurt anything to aerate your wort, extract or no.

Two rules for short lag time and healthy fermentation: make a big (1L) starter with yeast nutrients added, and aerate plentifully.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Ya'll may want to follow this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20832

We'll see which method attenuates best.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply