Oxidisation during Lautering.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manzier

Reaction score
Quick question. Is it ok for me to lauter into the kettle without a hose and allowing it to splash? I've been doing this for a few brews no problems but saw Palmer saying you should minimize splashing.

I thought that oxidisation is not a problem preboil.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There is some debate on hot side aeration, but the concensus seems to be that it is not a problem.
I splash and aerate preboil all the time and I have never had a recurring flavor or characteristic that I would attribute to it.
I seem to remember coming across something in an article once (I forget where) that said it could be a problem if the wort was not boiled in a reasonable time frame (riskier for other reasons IMO) or if it was no boiled long enough or adequately enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

John Kimmich is adamant against splashing during vorlauf, which has to also include lauter, and we all know that John does we much also do. Hot side aeration is BAD BAD BAD.

(provided in the most sarcastic tone I could muster on a forum :D)

"You should have nightmares about HSA, always secondary, put airlocks on everything, and buy lots and lots of junk." --the 1990s

I haven't worried about pre-boil aeration since it is boiled out of the wort anyway. I've never had an off-flavor and have won awards for a couple of my beers.

I wonder if our Grand fathers who brewed beer in the dark ages worried about this? I hear my grandpa telling me how good the beer was back then compaired to the BMC we had.

Latest posts

Back