The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Oxidation risk when transferring wort to kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
paradoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oxidation risk when transferring wort to kettle?

Greetings,

Getting ready to do my first all-grain batch. In his book, Palmer says to make sure to use tubing to transfer the wort from the MLT to the kettle to "avoid oxidation". But just over an hour later, you are going to oxygenate the wort prior to pitching yeast. Is there really a problem with oxygen getting into the wort at this point?

Jim

Primary: Pliny the Elder, Smoked Porter
Secondary: Apfelwein
Kegged: Bee Cave Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Apfelwein
Bottled: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Next up: Pliny the Elder, my own IPA, Sake, homemade ginger ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Depends who you ask

listen to this

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 05-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Pangea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The concern is aeration when the wort is hot. When you aerate the wort prior to fermentation, its cold.

Your wort is between 125 and 150 F coming to your kettle. Aeration at this point would be considered "hot side aeration" and this is what Palmer was recommending to avoid.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Palmer said that before recording the show I linked to.

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 05-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
jxm387
Recipes 

You're worried about oxidation of the wort. You should absolutely try to avoid splashing or any other oxygen pickup while the wort is hot. Oxidation will cause a dry cardboard flavor in your beer.

Same goes for this batch sparging I've been reading about. Your wort will oxidize, no matter what people say. And it will affect your flavor.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Most people here no longer seem to worry about hot side aeration. I know I don't. I've been carefull to avoid it in the past, and I have also totally disregarded it and just poured buckets of hot wort into the kettle. I've never noticed a difference in the final beer.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 05-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I brewed for several years before I ever heard of hot side aeration. For all those years I splashed hot wort like a crazy woman and never had HSA. I know it can happen in commercial breweries but I'm in the "homebrewers don't need to worry about it" camp.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxm387 View Post
You're worried about oxidation of the wort. You should absolutely try to avoid splashing or any other oxygen pickup while the wort is hot. Oxidation will cause a dry cardboard flavor in your beer.
This is complete nonsense. Do you have any idea how many people here batch sparge? Do you know how many people here batch sparge and have no off flavors from oxidation?

Quick Reply