Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > overnight mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #31
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Most people have known the Earth was round since ancient Greece. It's an old wives tale about everyone thinking the Earth was flat until Columbus or Magellan.

Anyway... sorry for being off-topic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Ptolemy thought the world was flat. He was Greek/Roman. Columbus & Magellan used a Ptolomaic T & O map. Read the book, Over the Edge of the World. It's about Magellans voyage and the maps he used. Written from the observations of Antonio Pigafetta. Magellans scribe. The people that were around since ancient Greece, that you say, knew the world wasn't flat. Were dead and must have kept the secret to themselves. They must not have let Ptolemy in on their secret. The world was considered flat until Primus Circumventi. After that, the maps drawn by the Greek, Ptolemey, were considered useless. The maps of Prestor John and John Mandeville, showed the world as flat. They too, were skuttled. The Roman Catholic world, assumed the world was flat. From, 1st century Ptolemy, all the way down till Magellan, 1500 years. Magellan never circled the earth, Drake did. Magellan was killed on the way. Yup. It surely, had to be an old wives tail, about everyone thinking the world was flat. I wonder why, the Spaniards and Portuguese, weren't part of the group that knew?

Anyway. Sorry, I got off topic.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #33
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
Ptolemy thought the world was flat. He was Greek/Roman. Columbus & Magellan used a Ptolomaic T & O map. Read the book, Over the Edge of the World. It's about Magellans voyage and the maps he used. Written from the observations of Antonio Pigafetta. Magellans scribe. The people that were around since ancient Greece, that you say, knew the world wasn't flat. Were dead and must have kept the secret to themselves. They must not have let Ptolemy in on their secret. The world was considered flat until Primus Circumventi. After that, the maps drawn by the Greek, Ptolemey, were considered useless. The maps of Prestor John and John Mandeville, showed the world as flat. They too, were skuttled. The Roman Catholic world, assumed the world was flat. From, 1st century Ptolemy, all the way down till Magellan, 1500 years. Magellan never circled the earth, Drake did. Magellan was killed on the way. Yup. It surely, had to be an old wives tail, about everyone thinking the world was flat. I wonder why, the Spaniards and Portuguese, weren't part of the group that knew?

Anyway. Sorry, I got off topic.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Quote:
The paradigm of a*spherical Earth*was developed inGreek astronomy, beginning with*Pythagoras*(6th century BC), although most*Pre-Socratics*retained the flat Earth model.*Aristotle*accepted the spherical shape of the Earth on empirical grounds around 330 BC, and knowledge of the spherical Earth gradually began to spread beyond the*Hellenistic world*from then on.[5][6][7][8]*The misconception that educated Europeans at the time of*Columbus*believed in a flat Earth, and that his voyages refuted that belief, has been referred to as the*Myth of the Flat Earth.[9]*In 1945, it was listed by the*Historical Association*(ofBritain) as the second of 20 in a pamphlet on common errors in history.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
noblebrew
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The historical debate is much more entertaining then the economical one I agree Phelanka7 that most people thought the world was round. After all many people watched ships sail over the horizon and then return so obviously they didn't fall over the edge of the world.

So If I mash in at appropriate temps and insulate the mash tun I can cut time out of my brew day by doing an overnight mash?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1268 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Ptolemy is known for believing that the sun orbited the earth, not that the earth was flat. His maps explicitly acknowledge a spherical earth.

Anyway, who are these Chefs that keep the art and science of mashing secret?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblebrew

So If I mash in at appropriate temps and insulate the mash tun I can cut time out of my brew day by doing an overnight mash?
Yes, with no I'll effects at all!

Old 01-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #37
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

I tried this last night/today for the first time. Mashed in at 155F around 12:30AM and woke up at 6:30AM this morning and the mash had only dropped to about 140F. Extract tasted sweet and delicious. Nothing amiss that I could detect. Achieved about 78% brewhouse efficiency which is pretty darn good for me. The best I've ever gotten was 80% and I average 65-70%. This was also the first time I've milled my own grains so that could account for the better efficiency as well.

Thanks OP (and wickman for the link)

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #38
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
I tried this last night/today for the first time. Mashed in at 155F around 12:30AM and woke up at 6:30AM this morning and the mash had only dropped to about 140F. Extract tasted sweet and delicious. Nothing amiss that I could detect. Achieved about 78% brewhouse efficiency which is pretty darn good for me. The best I've ever gotten was 80% and I average 65-70%. This was also the first time I've milled my own grains so that could account for the better efficiency as well.

Thanks OP (and wickman for the link)
Glad it worked out for you! It's nice to wake up and go to boil, really splits up the day which is handy for folks that find a hard time nailing down half a day to brew. It really opens up a lot more opportunities for me to brew.

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #39
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanmade84 View Post
Has anyone ever considered or better, tryed to do a mash overnight at room temp then went to boil? I think im gonna try it. How does that sound?
here's the thread where mentioned earlier in this topic line:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/brew...ciency-383919/

also if you google overnite mash there are tons of excerpts from all the other homebrew forums on the net.
i diidn't read them, just the homebrewtalk.com threads, but this method does seem to be popular and i for one will research it some more.....

GD

Quick Reply