Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Overnight Mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Overnight Mashing

I know this has been discussed over and over, but I wanted to start a new thread about overnight mashing so that we could get the most recent information and experience with the technique.

I recently mashed a kolsch overnight. Mashed in at 152 degrees at midnight and by 8:00 AM the next morning I was down to 135-140 depending on how deep in the mash the probe got. The beer is currently fermenting and appears to be just fine.

I mashed at 1.5 quarts per pound, and I think next time I will do 2.0 quarts per pound so that there is more residual heat.

All of my information says that as long as you don't fall below 130 degrees for a length of time, souring shouldn't be an issue. Either should an overly fermentable wort, as the enzyme activity and conversion all takes place in 90 minutes or less. After that, the wort is just waiting for you.

My gut feeling however, is that you do get a more fermentable wort, I have no data to back up that claim, but i just have a feeling. Long mash + thin mash = fermentable. So for my next overnight mash, I am picking a big beer. Likely a 1.070-1.075 IPA with about 18 pounds of grain.

I will let you all know how my first overnight mash turns out, but I think it is going to be great. Please post your experience or advice regarding this method. Thank you!!

Last edited by permo; 07-02-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

interested.

but why? the mash is usually the shortest and easiest part of my brewday.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
interested.

but why? the mash is usually the shortest and easiest part of my brewday.
As a super busy, mutlitasking father of two girls under the age of 3, saving any amount of time is very valuable. This method allows me to heat my water and conduct my mash in peace, after the kids and SWMBO are in bed.

I also beleive that there is an inherent increase in your mash efficiency, so maybe adjust your recipe for a 3-5% increase. I overshot my gravity .08 points last time. Not that I am complainin.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Why not mash, collect runnings, and then let that sit overnight? Instead of the whole mash? One more step to get out of the way while the fam is asleep shortening your following day when they're awake.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Why not mash, collect runnings, and then let that sit overnight? Instead of the whole mash? One more step to get out of the way while the fam is asleep shortening your following day when they're awake.
Then the runnings would cool below 130 degrees and be way more susseptable to infection and wild yeast. If you mash overnight you are maintaining temp.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Then the runnings would cool below 130 degrees and be way more susseptable to infection and wild yeast. If you mash overnight you are maintaining temp.
sanitize two buckets, put wort in, put lid on. No different than when you're done and pitching yeast. no wild yeast will jump through the lid of a bucket. Done this twice myself with no issues. Besides, you're going to be boiling it all for an hour in the slight chance you pick up a bug or two. anyway.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

permo - I definitely get the multitasking father thing. DOING IT!

With that said, I have myself wondered about overnight mashing. I have a good friend who's been doing overnight mashing for years with NO issues whatsoever. It's the only way he's done it and his beers are fantastic.

So, no first-hand experience....but I have tasted the results from overnight mashing and all is good!

Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
As a super busy, mutlitasking father of two girls under the age of 3, saving any amount of time is very valuable. This method allows me to heat my water and conduct my mash in peace, after the kids and SWMBO are in bed.

I also beleive that there is an inherent increase in your mash efficiency, so maybe adjust your recipe for a 3-5% increase. I overshot my gravity .08 points last time. Not that I am complainin.
as another multitasking father of two sub-3 year olds, my kids wake up ~6am and are ready to rock, so that wouldn't work out for me at all.

anyway i wasn't trying to patronize your method, i was just curious. interested to see the outcome.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
I know this has been discussed over and over, but I wanted to start a new thread about overnight mashing so that we could get the most recent information and experience with the technique.

Please post your experience or advice regarding this method. Thank you!!
Doesn't look like any of the posters so far are doing what you asked and posting THEIR experiences with doing it.

You MAY have to rely on the similar threads box to get actual experiences.

I've never done it, but I know at least two different brewers who work at or own different LHBS in MI. who do it all the time.

Like you said it is better to mash overnight if you can keep the temps correct, than to collect the runnings and have them drop into lactose producing temps.

I know the folks who do it overnight, mention wrapping the cooler in a sleeping bag, and/or keeping it next to the furnace overnight. And they usually maintain their temps give or take a degree, so that's not an issue if you take proper precautions.

I think though the biggest would be not using too big a cooler for the amount of grain/water. Not using a 60 quart cooler for 10 or 12 pounds of grain. If all you have is a huge cooler, then maybe making some sort of insulating cap that you can shove into the cooler at the gainline. I've seen such caps mabe out of styrafoam wrapped in some sort of foodgrade plastic, maybe even saran wrap would do it.

I don't have anything else to share, not having done it myself, this is only second hand from folks I know who have been successful with it.

Hope this helps.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
permo
Recipes 

Revvy, I hear you on the cooler size. I have a 48 quart tun, and I think the kolsch grain bill was too small, still it worked out but I think filling the mash tun as much as possible would sure help.

Thank you for your input.

Quick Reply