The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > overnight mash and keeping my cool

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 02:31 AM   #81
BuzzedBomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My first experience with over night mashing was a huge success. Come October I plan on a repeat of a 1c - a little less of the rice adjuncts this go around. If it tastes the way I hope, I'll post the recipe. Cheers for Overnight Mashing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #82
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I typically start the mash at around 158F more or less, and 10 hours later it's at 148F or so. I tape the seem where the lid meets the cooler with clear packing tape to hold in the steam, and then I cover the cooler with a couple thick blankets. I've been happy with the results every time I've done it. I've never had a batch come out too dry, yet.
Makes complete sense. Thanks for explaining. Certainly 148 would be on the drier side, but by no means dry depending upon starting gravity.

Goat Mountain Brewery (GMB)
A 10 Gal all-eletric nanobrewery nestled in the foothills of the cascades. My own slice of paradise.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #83
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The reason it works is that denaturing enzymes takes time. You won't denature beta amylase (which works at lower temps) in the matter of an hour or two by mashing at even 160 to start with. There will still be some enzymes left once the temp drops into the low-to-mid 150's that will further chew the beer, but not too much. If you WANT dry beer, you start around 153 and you'll get down to just a few points after fermentation. I usually get over 83% attenuation on higher-mashed beers and in the 90's on the lower-mashed beers.

Anymore I find that 3 hours seems to be when things finish converting. I usually mash anywhere from 90 minutes to overnight, depending on my schedule of other things to do, and adjust mash temp accordingly. The 90 minute mashes I use the original recipe temp. Anything in the 3 hour range I bump it up 3-5 degrees (less for lower mash temps, more for higher). Overnight and 3 hours seem to have produced similar results, leading me to believe conversion is pretty much done at the 3 hour mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
IslandLizard Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #84
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My "Fashionable Late PA" recipe is overnight mashed starting at 153 and dries out to about 1.002...and it's fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 AM   #85
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Great info all, thanks for sharing. With a wife, kids, work a house etc. it is sometimes tough to find a solid five or so hours to brew. I have only done all grain and thought about trying extract, but with this idea I think I can squeeze in a few more batches into my schedule. I look forward to giving this a try.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #86
Disintegr8or
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do BIAB brews. Do you think I could get away with full boil volume and grain mashing overnight in a cooler, and then dumping everything into my bag to separate the grain? Would I need to heat everything up to 170ish for a mash-out before removing grain, or just separate the grain and go right to the boil?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #87
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disintegr8or View Post
I do BIAB brews. Do you think I could get away with full boil volume and grain mashing overnight in a cooler, and then dumping everything into my bag to separate the grain? Would I need to heat everything up to 170ish for a mash-out before removing grain, or just separate the grain and go right to the boil?
I think it would work just fine. I wouldn't bother with a mash out.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #88
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Inspired by this thread I am giving this a shot. I do BIAB and have made a jacket for my brew pot out of left over wrap used on our hot water tank. I doughed in last night at 154 for a nut brown ale. I just woke and found the temp at 147. Not too shabby at all. This should be good and I look forward to seeing how this beer turns out. This could allow for many more brews to fit in my schedule.

Keg #1 Chocolate Coconut Stout
Keg #2 Orange Honey Hefe
Keg #3 Dead Guy Ale

Old 09-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #89
ChrisL_
Recipes 

So far so good. I do BIAB and typically get 70% efficiency. With my 8 hour over night mash I got 78% and my temps stayed above 147 so should be no worries of infection. We'll see in a week or so how the ferment ability of the wort turns out. But I think I am thinking I am going to like this over night mash setup.

Keg #1 Chocolate Coconut Stout
Keg #2 Orange Honey Hefe
Keg #3 Dead Guy Ale

Old 10-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #90
Omahawk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Did my first overnight mash last night. Doing a hybrid Dortmunder Export with WY1007 in the fridge near 55 degrees. Based on recommendations on this thread, started it at 158 and let it sit for about 9 hours overnight in my 10 gallon igloo mash tun (left quite a bit of headspace with only a 1.4 qt/lb ratio - probably should have mashed thinner). It was at 142 degrees this morning. Crazy 83% efficiency with a no-sparge AFTER adding 3 gallons of tap water to the boil. Wort looks great. We'll see about the beer.

In Heaven there is no beer
That's why we drink it here
And when we're all gone from here
Our friends will be drinking all the beer.

Quick Reply