Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > overnight mash and keeping my cool

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #71
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts

I have done 4 or 5 overnight mashes now and love the convenience of starting my brew process after the kids are in bed, and finishing by noon the next day.

My observations are that I get higher efficiency (75-80% vs. 70% in a normal 1hr mash) with a batch sparge. I also generally mash-in around 10:00 to 11:00 pm and the mash is usually in the low 140's to high 130's in the morning - usually 8:00am or so. I have never had any sour issues. I will often fill my mash tun to capacity which can create a very thin mash (3+ qt/lb depending on the grain bill). For a smaller beer,I will sometimes do a no-sparge overnight mash. Just did that with a dry stout. 10lbs of grain and around 9 gallons of water. Mashed in at 154, drained in the AM at 141 and started to boil. Got about 65% efficiency from the no-sparge overnight mash. When I have mashed in at higher temps, like 158, I have found that I usually get a FG around 1.020. I think that a mash-in temp at or below 155 is best for an overnight mash for a beer that you want to attenuate down below 1.015. I have done a couple of 1.060 (or so) pale ales with an overnight mash at 155 that finished at 1.012 (or so).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #72
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1000 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Howdy folks!

I'm waking up this tired, old thread!

For the first time in quite a while I'm doing an overnight mash tomorrow night.

It's this years pumpkin ale. I've decided I'm not a huge fan of the style when it comes to everyday pumpkin ales, so this year I'm kicking things up a notch. I've decided I might enjoy it more if it's much more full bodied and heavy, slightly sweet, and a higher abv than typical. I've decided to mash pretty high, since it's overnight. That should ensure some residual sweetness and keep my mash temp above the critical point for me. I'm hoping the overnight mash will get me a few extra efficiency points, since I'm going high gravity this year. I'm shooting for maybe 8.8-9.5% abv. I might even age this one on some whiskey soaked oak, but I haven't made my mind up on that yet.

Happy brewing friends, and Cheers!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #73
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Funny how disastrous brew days make for such splendid names! My recent AG hefe I dubbed "Right-hand Hefeweizen" as I actually submerged my right arm up to the elbow in the mash tun to try and resolve a stuck runoff. Can you say *OUCH!*? good thread though.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #74
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachmaelBenApplebaum View Post
Funny how disastrous brew days make for such splendid names! My recent AG hefe I dubbed "Right-hand Hefeweizen" as I actually submerged my right arm up to the elbow in the mash tun to try and resolve a stuck runoff. Can you say *OUCH!*? good thread though.
Yep, I've been there!

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #75
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6 View Post
Yep, I've been there!
Yep, me too!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #76
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Howdy folks!

I'm waking up this tired, old thread!

For the first time in quite a while I'm doing an overnight mash tomorrow night.

It's this years pumpkin ale. I've decided I'm not a huge fan of the style when it comes to everyday pumpkin ales, so this year I'm kicking things up a notch. I've decided I might enjoy it more if it's much more full bodied and heavy, slightly sweet, and a higher abv than typical. I've decided to mash pretty high, since it's overnight. That should ensure some residual sweetness and keep my mash temp above the critical point for me. I'm hoping the overnight mash will get me a few extra efficiency points, since I'm going high gravity this year. I'm shooting for maybe 8.8-9.5% abv. I might even age this one on some whiskey soaked oak, but I haven't made my mind up on that yet.

Happy brewing friends, and Cheers!
whatever the recipe mash temp calls for, bump it up at least 3 degrees unless you want a MUCH drier beer, FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
wickman6 Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #77
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
whatever the recipe mash temp calls for, bump it up at least 3 degrees unless you want a MUCH drier beer, FYI
Thanks! I do indeed mash high when I do overnight mashing.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #78
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Without some form of temp control and/or mash recirculation, how you prevent the overnight mash from producing a very fermentable wort and hence dry beer? I can't imagine you can keep your mash above 150 for that length of time. I used to brew in insulated coolers and it was common to drop from 150 to 147 over the course of even a couple of hours. I would think you'd be down in the low 140's or upper 130's with a 8+ hour mash.

Not saying you guys haven't figured out how to make this work, just wondering how.

Goat Mountain Brewery (GMB)
A 10 Gal all-eletric nanobrewery nestled in the foothills of the cascades. My own slice of paradise.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #79
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
Without some form of temp control and/or mash recirculation, how you prevent the overnight mash from producing a very fermentable wort and hence dry beer? I can't imagine you can keep your mash above 150 for that length of time. I used to brew in insulated coolers and it was common to drop from 150 to 147 over the course of even a couple of hours. I would think you'd be down in the low 140's or upper 130's with a 8+ hour mash.

Not saying you guys haven't figured out how to make this work, just wondering how.
I typically start the mash at around 158F more or less, and 10 hours later it's at 148F or so. I tape the seem where the lid meets the cooler with clear packing tape to hold in the steam, and then I cover the cooler with a couple thick blankets. I've been happy with the results every time I've done it. I've never had a batch come out too dry, yet.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #80
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I typically start the mash at around 158F more or less, and 10 hours later it's at 148F or so. I tape the seem where the lid meets the cooler with clear packing tape to hold in the steam, and then I cover the cooler with a couple thick blankets. I've been happy with the results every time I've done it. I've never had a batch come out too dry, yet.
I have a particular recipe that I like to dry out, and that's usually on an overnight mash. I haven't brewed it in a while but when I do I don't bump the temp at all on purpose. I get it down to 1.002 to 1.004 with Wyeast 1007.

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Quick Reply