Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > overnight mash and keeping my cool
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #61
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,372
Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

So I missed my mash temp being cocky and figuring I didn't have to heat my strike water (which I also use for pre-heat) all the way to 185-190, instead transferring it to the MLT at about 180. Well in 5 minutes of pre-heating it dropped to 168 and that's the low end of where I wanted to dough-in. Ended up with mash temp of 154-155 initially, which was below the 157 I was shooting for. Good thing this is a Munchener Helles and finishing on the dry side is OK for a sessionable light lager. I'm guessing I'll go from 1.051 to 1.008 or so. Dry, but not super dry compared to my FLPA beer that finishes near 1.002 mashed at 153 overnight.

__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #62
zyx345
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 252
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Mashing higher is a must. As I've mentioned, you won't completely denature all of the beta amylase, even in a higher mash, so as the temperature drops and alpha goes to sleep, beta will keep chewing up chains, resulting in a highly fermentable wort. Like I said, add at least 3 degrees to recipe mash temp.

Based on the above, I just did a batch mashing in at 158 F at 9:00pm and I took a temperature reading at 12:00pm the next day and I was at 143.7 F. I'm using a Coleman Xtreme cooler and BIAB. I covered the cooler with a blanket and a flannel sheet. This is my first time mashing this high of a temperature however I'm hoping my IPA turns out more malt forward than my last batch. Will post back with results.
__________________
zyx345 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #63
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 636
Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I haven't done a lot of this overnight brewing, but that seems like a lot of temp loss, no? One thing I've done when I've needed to leave my wort in the cooler for long periods of time is to wrap the lid tightly with cellophane--that seems to reduce my heat loss pretty substantially. Just a thought for the future.

Cheers

__________________
jerrodm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #64
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: vernon hills, il
Posts: 644
Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm View Post
I haven't done a lot of this overnight brewing, but that seems like a lot of temp loss, no? One thing I've done when I've needed to leave my wort in the cooler for long periods of time is to wrap the lid tightly with cellophane--that seems to reduce my heat loss pretty substantially. Just a thought for the future.

Cheers
+1.

I started wrapping my cooler with cling wrap as well and it really helps. As far as temp loss, I think he'll be alright. Most of the conversion happens early before too much heat is lost.

As long as the mash doesn't drop below 140 for too long I believe its pretty safe.
__________________
wickman6 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #65
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,372
Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyx345 View Post
Based on the above, I just did a batch mashing in at 158 F at 9:00pm and I took a temperature reading at 12:00pm the next day and I was at 143.7 F. I'm using a Coleman Xtreme cooler and BIAB. I covered the cooler with a blanket and a flannel sheet. This is my first time mashing this high of a temperature however I'm hoping my IPA turns out more malt forward than my last batch. Will post back with results.
Please do report back. I've started to get this tuned-in pretty well. Record your OG and FG please, as well. I find that 158 is the more malty side, preferrable for Oktoberfest, stouts, etc. I might even try 160 if you want super malty. Even 156 turns out fairly dry. My Helles lager I mashed at 154 I believe and it's nice and dry, but not uber dry like my 153 pale ale with US-05. The lager yeast doesn't attenuate quite as much, though.
__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #66
Skarekrough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Massachusetts, Massachusetts
Posts: 311
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Did this last weekend, twice, with two batches of my Lager recipe.

Temp started at around 154 or so and dropped to about 146 one night and 144 the other. I think that was over about six hours or so.

Honestly, I think I will be using this technique as a standard. The way my schedule is I can get things done late into the night or early in the morning. Once it gets past 10 AM though I get the hairy eyeball on the weekend.

Will be doing it again this weekend for a Belgian Pale Ale.

Thanks for the tip!

__________________

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Skarekrough is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #67
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,372
Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
Did this last weekend, twice, with two batches of my Lager recipe.

Temp started at around 154 or so and dropped to about 146 one night and 144 the other. I think that was over about six hours or so.

Honestly, I think I will be using this technique as a standard. The way my schedule is I can get things done late into the night or early in the morning. Once it gets past 10 AM though I get the hairy eyeball on the weekend.

Will be doing it again this weekend for a Belgian Pale Ale.

Thanks for the tip!
It's served me very well, too. Just keep your eye on attenuation and mouthfeel. 154 should produce a pretty dry beer, so fine for most pales, IPA's, light lagers, etc. but probably not great for malty lagers, stouts, porters, etc.
__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #68
zyx345
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 252
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Please do report back. I've started to get this tuned-in pretty well. Record your OG and FG please, as well. I find that 158 is the more malty side, preferrable for Oktoberfest, stouts, etc. I might even try 160 if you want super malty. Even 156 turns out fairly dry. My Helles lager I mashed at 154 I believe and it's nice and dry, but not uber dry like my 153 pale ale with US-05. The lager yeast doesn't attenuate quite as much, though.
I just bottled my batch on 1/6/12. This was Yooper's DFH 60 clone (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogf...extract-25709/). OG: 1.072 and FG: 1.021 using S04. The high FG was most likely due to fermenting at +/- 60 degrees F.

The hydrometer sample did taste maltier and slighltly sweeter than my prior batches using this method which is what I was going for. I may even try to mash in a little higher at 160F on my next IPA.

Once carbonated I will update this post on the final tasting results.
__________________
zyx345 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #69
Skarekrough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Massachusetts, Massachusetts
Posts: 311
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
It's served me very well, too. Just keep your eye on attenuation and mouthfeel. 154 should produce a pretty dry beer, so fine for most pales, IPA's, light lagers, etc. but probably not great for malty lagers, stouts, porters, etc.
I never really considered that.

I did a Porter a few weeks ago where I know I was around 156 or so. My efficiency was quite good and fermentation took off like a rocket.

Proof will be in the pudding when I keg it up and serve it.
__________________

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Skarekrough is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #70
sudndeth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charleston
Posts: 266
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I did my first overnight mash after reading this thread. It went well, I mashed at 158*. 11 hours later it was at 138*. There were no sour smell and everything seemed pretty good. With that being said, my SG was way over what it was supposed to be. I finished at 1.070. It was supposed to be 1.047. Here's the recipe.

Recipe: Bass Clone
Style: 8A-English Pale Ale-Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 8.08 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 6.28 US gals
Volume Transferred: 6.28 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 6.28 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.50 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.036 SG
Expected OG: 1.047 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG
Expected ABV: 4.6 %
Expected ABW: 3.6 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 37.3
Expected Color: 9.8 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 72.9 %
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 80.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
UK Pale Ale Malt 8lb 0oz (69.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Flaked Corn/Maize 2lb 8oz (21.7 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 60L Malt 8.00 oz (4.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
Canadian Honey Malt (Gambrinus) 8.00 oz (4.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Roasted Barley 0.75 oz (0.4 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
UK Target (9.5 % alpha) 0.75 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
UK Golding (5.4 % alpha) 0.75 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 30 Min From End
UK Golding (5.4 % alpha) 0.25 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 15 Min From End
UK Golding (5.5 % alpha) 0.25 oz Loose Pellet Hops used At turn off

Other Ingredients

Yeast: Wyeast 1084-Irish Ale

I guess my efficiency was higher than usual. I'll keep you updated.

__________________
sudndeth is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overnight mash Hoodweisen All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 03-09-2011 06:15 AM
does anyone mash overnight ? kappclark All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 08-16-2010 02:48 AM
Keeping pre-boiled wort overnight petep1980 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 08-02-2009 11:34 PM
Overnight Mash Donthoseme All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 01-03-2009 04:21 PM
Overnight mash djamwolfe All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 03-06-2007 07:30 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS