Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > overnight mash and keeping my cool

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

My mash temp, for the first hour or two should have stayed around 156, I usually drop only 2 degrees in a typical hour mash. I think after the fisrt two hours, all conversion that is going to happen should have already.
I could be wrong tho, I often am. I'm hoping it isn't too dry, but if it is, that's fine with me. This recipe is for my everyday type beer, so dryer may be a little better anyway.
I'll keep my results coming as they become available.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
johnnybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6 View Post
My mash temp, for the first hour or two should have stayed around 156, I usually drop only 2 degrees in a typical hour mash. I think after the fisrt two hours, all conversion that is going to happen should have already.
I could be wrong tho, I often am. I'm hoping it isn't too dry, but if it is, that's fine with me. This recipe is for my everyday type beer, so dryer may be a little better anyway.
That's the attitude! I look forward to getting the updates. I bet the beer comes out great!

See my Corny Keg Chilling Insulator

Old 01-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
perkins98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've done a couple all day mashes now and haven't had a single problem. the beer do tend to dry out a bit but that's all. I'm actually planning one now and I'm thinking of mashing @ 158 just to see what happens.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 28

a little off topic but I think 75 is a little too hot to be pitching s-04. I like to pitch it at around 60 personally

Old 01-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
wickman6
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313 View Post
a little off topic but I think 75 is a little too hot to be pitching s-04. I like to pitch it at around 60 personally
I agree 100%, however my chiller was out of commision and it took me a long time to even get to 75, so I decided to go ahead and pitch.

As soon as activity started I moved the carboy to my sub-40 garage where it knocked down the temp to around 64 within a couple hours.

Brought the beer back inside and it has been low 60's since.

My main worry is if this turns out great, I'm not sure what malfunction to give credit to. A lot of variables here.

I'm not so sure I'd be excited about trying to replicate this one technique wise. Lol

Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
JaimeTheLimey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6 View Post
You're correct. Especially at higher mash temps your conversion is going to be done fairly quickly.
As for dryness, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but mashing at 156* for a few hours is going to denature the beta amylase for the most part. I don't think the extended mash at lower temps has much of an effect on the wort as does the initial mash. Would love to hear some other thoughts on this.
Brett Saison; Brett PA; Session IPA
Bubbling:
Strawberry Lambic; Blood Orange Lambic; De Bomb Sour Brown;
Cellar:
****s & Giggles Cherry Sour; Winter Brett Saison

Old 01-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This is the third time I hear of this, I like your dedication to brewing and whatever you got to do to get our beer in the fermentor is great!

There is some companies that do all night sour mashes to get their PH into range. This is done around 80F to 101F. I would be worried about the temperature dropping and getting some kind of bacteria or fungi growing in there. Though boiling will kill whatever infection is in the mash, it does little to some of the mycotoxins they produced and can result in gushing beer, hazy beers, and harmful to yeast.

If non of this is being reported though I am sure it is of no real concern, keep us updated on how this turns out.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
wickman6
Recipes 

Ok, I have a new name for this brew. "Tooth and Nail Amber Ale"

I kegged on sunday night, 1 week after pitching yeast. I had a FG of 1.007!

After sealing up the keg, put her under pressure and all seemed fine and well.

Monday morning I checked on it, and all of my co2 was gone! Damn. Turns out I had a bad seal on the lid, leaking ever so lightly but enough to kill a few pounds of gas.

LHBS is closed on mondays, and I couldn't get to a welding gas distributor so I waited until yesterday.

Picked up a new o-ring set and gas, went home and gave it another go. Bingo! All set, so I blasted with 40psi and shook it like hell.

Not my normal procedure at all, but this whole beer is a bit unorthodox for me so why not?

A couple hours later, I finally pull a pint and hey, its not half bad!

Green, yes but otherwise a winner. Finish is a bit bitter still, but only slightly.

I'm betting in another week it will be pretty nice. I don't think its a show stopper, but I think I may finally have found a nice winter beer with a very quick turnaround.

Considering everything that went wrong, or not as expected this one survived.

I've proven to myself that I can overcome setbacks, make a fast beer taste good that's not a wheat, and you REALLY have to try to hurt the beer!

Cheers!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
wickman6
Recipes 

Ok, this beer is pretty damn good. It's not complex, but that's not what I was shooting for anyway.

Very nice hop character, the bitter finish has already faded, or I'm just getting used to it.

It is actually fairly malty. The first tastes it did seem a bit dry, but now I have it carbonated properly and the malt is now shining through.

I know I said I wouldn't do another overnight mash, but now seeing the results I have to say I have changed my mind. This is a very good utility beer and I will brew it again. The benefit for me to mash overnight opens up more brew days, since the actual 'brew day' should be shorter. Family time is priority, so this method really helps me as I can dough in after kids go to bed, and by the time they wake up, I'm half done with the boil.

I will continue to take notes on this method, and I will be doing it again. Probably often.
If anyone else is doing this, or willing to give it a shot I'd be more than happy to share notes.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Awesome, good stuff. Whatever it takes to brew a batch.

Quick Reply