Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Overnight mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
djamwolfe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Overnight mash

Ive heard of overnight mashing somewhere here before but I cant find anything with searching.... I'm doing the oatmeal stout HERE and wouldn't mind starting it tonight and sparging and boiling tomorrow morning. Do I have to raise the temp of the mash back up before I sparge? Or will the temp sty up overnight?

FYI - I use one of those 5 gal. Igloo "maxcool" water coolers for my mash/lauter tun.

MMMMM Koelsh
SNPA Clone
Bastard Wheat
Choco Oatmeal Stout
Getting Ready:
Steam Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I think it will turn sour overnight.
Search sour beer.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know about letting your mash sit overnight. I have heard of people making their wort the night before then refrigerating it and then boiling and adding hops the next day to save time. Although that may have been for a partial mash.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

People do it with good results, at least I've seen plenty of anecdotal evidence of such; but I've never done it. It would be a great time saver in terms of splitting a day.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
People do it with good results, at least I've seen plenty of anecdotal evidence of such; but I've never done it. It would be a great time saver in terms of splitting a day.
Arey you talking about making the mash the day before boiling or letting the mash sit overnight?

Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleHole
Arey you talking about making the mash the day before boiling or letting the mash sit overnight?
Doughing in the night before and letting the mash sit overnight. What I've read reports of people doing is mashing in the night before, going to work the next day, and then running off and boiling after work. Apparently it works, though I would be suspicious of souring as you mentioned. I'm pretty sure most people wrap blankets/sleeping bags around their coolers to insulate as much as possible.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Doughing in the night before and letting the mash sit overnight. What I've read reports of people doing is mashing in the night before, going to work the next day, and then running off and boiling after work. Apparently it works, though I would be suspicious of souring as you mentioned. I'm pretty sure most people wrap blankets/sleeping bags around their coolers to insulate as much as possible.
This seems highly suspect to me. Most all modified modern malts will convert in 60 minutes or less. Why wait....for sour beer? I would like to sample a homebrew made this way.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
This seems highly suspect to me. Most all modified modern malts will convert in 60 minutes or less. Why wait....for sour beer? I would like to sample a homebrew made this way.
The reason for waiting is simply a time constraint...a lot of people (well, probably not a lot, but some!) don't have 4-5 hrs to devote to an all-grain batch. By mashing in the night before you have two sessions of 2-2.5hrs counting setup and cleanup.

Like I say, I've never tried it, just read anecdotal accounts of people doing it with good results and no souring.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Fwiw, I have soured mash on purpose for one of my ales. You need to keep it fairly warm to get good results (good here being sour ). If your tun stays above 130 you are going to sour your mash but the degree of sourness will most likely hit at the low edge of sourness. In other words it will not be pungent, at least in my experience. What I would suggest is, take about 1 lb of grain and hit it with your strike temperature and put it in a small water cooler overnight and see what you get. Concentrations of Lactobacillus on the grain will vary so you may not get consistency from batch to batch in terms of a 24 hr period development. One other approach you might want to try, this is a brainstorm I had would be to quickly rinse your grain before crushing. This would hopefully result in fairly low concentrations of the souring bacteria....but it is just a brainstorm. The only problem is this might introduce problems with the crush.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
djamwolfe
Recipes 

thanks everyone or the replies --- I was only thinking this so SWMBO doesnt complain that im brewing all day. I think I may try this in the future as I see no harm leaving the mash at 152 for an extended period of time.
Just curious about the souring, is that created by lacto or some other bacteria? If so wouldn't that be avoided by keeping the mash temps up?
Thanks again

MMMMM Koelsh
SNPA Clone
Bastard Wheat
Choco Oatmeal Stout
Getting Ready:
Steam Beer

Quick Reply