New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Over-carbonation...what happened?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #21
snevey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think you'll always have enough yeast in suspension, unless you use a clearing agent, or some kind of filtering device/process. I think you'd be surprised how much you stir up when you rack from secondary to bottling bucket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #22
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13

No, I mean how do you know how much sugar he needs? The fermentation temp affects the amount of residual carbon dioxide in the beer, which in turn affects how much sugar he needs to add.
Ah--good point! I assumed room temp around 69F. Should have noted that.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
Ah--good point! I assumed room temp around 69F. Should have noted that.
Probably doesn't make enough difference to go from normal to massively overcarbed though.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
Toy4Rick
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Hey gang,

I have carbed several beers with 5.0 oz of corn sugar with no issues. In fact, a Hef I did recently I used 8.0 oz of corn sugar for a 5gal batch and it was spot on. My last 2 batches were severely over carbed with 5.0 oz of sugar, looks like in my case it was a bottling infection caused by the bottling spigot. I didn't know it could be taken apart and once I did, it showed some minor gunk and we all know that any gunk can cause an infection.

Good luck with figuring out your issue

Toy4Rick

Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #25
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Rick
Hey gang,

I have carbed several beers with 5.0 oz of corn sugar with no issues. In fact, a Hef I did recently I used 8.0 oz of corn sugar for a 5gal batch and it was spot on. My last 2 batches were severely over carbed with 5.0 oz of sugar, looks like in my case it was a bottling infection caused by the bottling spigot. I didn't know it could be taken apart and once I did, it showed some minor gunk and we all know that any gunk can cause an infection.

Good luck with figuring out your issue

Toy4Rick
Hefe is a high carb style, like Saison. Makes sense.

I thought I had an infection causing gushers as well, but I'm drinking a bottle right now at almost six months and it's frickin' fantastic, just a mild carvonicbite from theovercarbonation. Still can't figure it out.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
usafbeerlover
Recipes 

Default Gushers here also

I have had gushers since moving to all grain. I never used more than 5 oz of corn sugar so I am going to bleach all my bottling equipment before my next batch. Along with that I am going to stir the crap out of the beer/priming sugar mixture. Never had this problem with extract but then again never had really delicious beer with extract either.
cheers
everyone

Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #27
Mayday99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafbeerlover View Post
I have had gushers since moving to all grain. I never used more than 5 oz of corn sugar so I am going to bleach all my bottling equipment before my next batch. Along with that I am going to stir the crap out of the beer/priming sugar mixture. Never had this problem with extract but then again never had really delicious beer with extract either.
cheers
everyone
Make sure to keep your bottling equipment away from your grain if you are not doing so already. Grain has a lot of beasties on it and storing or milling it near your bottling equipment could be a problem. Just food for thought.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #28
StanJohnson
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday99 View Post
Make sure to keep your bottling equipment away from your grain if you are not doing so already. Grain has a lot of beasties on it and storing or milling it near your bottling equipment could be a problem. Just food for thought.
If you're cleaning and sanitizing your equipment before bottling, would that still be a problem?

RDWIWBB

Stan

Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #29
Mayday99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJohnson View Post
If you're cleaning and sanitizing your equipment before bottling, would that still be a problem?
You are just increasing the change of an infection, in my opinion. Milled grain gets everywhere and I think your odds of avoiding infection will be better if you are cleaning a piece of equipment that is relatively clean and free of contaminants to begin with.

Yes, clean and sanitize, but keeping your equipment away from potential contaminants is also good practice.

Quick Reply