Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Over attenuation and mash time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
stevecaaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Over attenuation and mash time

Hello, I am wondering if the length of time your mash is within the range of effective mash temps (149 - 157 Farenheit) has anything to do with the fermentability (attenuation) of your wort? If I was doing a batch sparge, did NOT mash out, and let the wort sit for, say 120 minutes, before boiling, would the attenuation potential increase because I did not stop conversion?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There's a small difference between a longer mash and letting preboil wort sit around because not only are the enzymes more dilute after sparging but I'd assume you got the grainbed up to near 170F in the process right? In that case, the conversion is probably halted.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply