Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Outdoor brewing and sunlight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #31
H-ost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Cool. This thread learned me good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #32
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I know when we're doing something new we tend to overthink and worry. But something to realize, in brewing or anything new, is not to lose sight of our own common sense. In this case if you read and see and hear that folks are brewing outside, then you kinda have to think, that what you're concerned about (in your case skunking) must not be a problem, or folks wouldn't be doing it, would we?
Makes sense to me. But if direct sunlight effects isomerized alpha acids, how come it doesn't skunk wort with isomerized alpha acids, say 30+ minutes into a standard boil? Is it because not enough sunlight can get through the dense wort + kettle perhaps? People have said in this thread that skunking can only occur in fermented beer... how come? This is just a curiosity thing for me at this point. Perhaps I am not understanding something that was already pointed out in this thread. Cheers and thanks!

I owe MrK305 a beer!

My YouTube Channel

Old 12-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #33
Paramecium
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It probably depends a lot on the beer style as well. A yeasty hefe with very low ibu's probably wouldn't show it much however Corona, Hieneken etc while not being heavily hopped don't have much yeast or malt flavor to cover up any skunking. And like in that video, an IPA or pale will be noticeably skunked very quickly due to the abundance of hops in the beer.

Primary~ Empty

Secondary~ Mosaic IPA

Kegged~

Ransack Port Oak Aged RIS

Blood Orange Hefe

Bonne Nuit Saison

Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #34
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramecium View Post
It probably depends a lot on the beer style as well. A yeasty hefe with very low ibu's probably wouldn't show it much however Corona, Hieneken etc while not being heavily hopped don't have much yeast or malt flavor to cover up any skunking. And like in that video, an IPA or pale will be noticeably skunked very quickly due to the abundance of hops in the beer.
It doesn't matter in terms of brewing outside.....skunking only happens in FERMENTED beer, not during brewing of beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #35
Paramecium
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ya I realize that. I should have been specific in that I was referring to people comments that they sit outside drinking beer with no perceived skunking.

Primary~ Empty

Secondary~ Mosaic IPA

Kegged~

Blood Orange Hefe

Bonne Nuit Saison

People Like This 
Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Ya I realize that. I should have been specific in that I was referring to people comments that they sit outside drinking beer with no perceived skunking.
That totally happens. I drink a ton of pils in the summer. If the sun hits the glass at all, I can begin to get skunk. More than a few mins in the sun and it tastes like Corona.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #37
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
I know, I just wanted to make sure for all the nervous noobs that hover over "worst case scenario" threads like flies on poop WHAT exactly you were referring to. Since for one thing, you bumped a thread that was dormant for 8 months to make that comment. Once threads like these surface again, every scared new brewer will jump on them. It's human nature to look for things that will confirm to someone's worst fears. An threads like this are the most popular, because it's human nature to look for things to worry about, when we're dealing with something new.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #38
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1014 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 2688

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
That totally happens. I drink a ton of pils in the summer. If the sun hits the glass at all, I can begin to get skunk. More than a few mins in the sun and it tastes like Corona.
I've never actually experienced this. Being in El Paso, TX we pretty much never drink in direct sunlight. You'll melt long before your beer skunks up!

Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #39
raysmithtx
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Or burst into flames.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #40
Paramecium
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ya I zombie'd this one pretty bad. I was doing a search to answer my own questions and having read the earlier comments about the skunking only occurring in fermented beer I was happy. Then I for some reason forgot that it was an old thread from a search and replied like an idiot lol. Now it lives again!

Primary~ Empty

Secondary~ Mosaic IPA

Kegged~

Blood Orange Hefe

Bonne Nuit Saison

Quick Reply