HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Outdoor brewing and sunlight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #21
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
I don't know where you heard light can skunk a beer in minutes that is just ridiculous sounding to me. Drinking beers outside on a hot sunny days is one of the best times to do it and I don't see people pouring out their coronas after sitting in the sun for a few minutes because they are skunked up.
that's cuz corona's skunked when ya buy it.

i've had a brew (more than one brew) sitting in a glass in direct sunlight and it skunked IN THE GLASS. it wasn't skunked when i poured, or when i drank the first half of it, but after i sat there with it soaking up the sun, it was skunked before it was warm.

that said, it won't happen in unfermented wort. see revvy's text wall ^^^^^ up there.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #22
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
that's cuz corona's skunked when ya buy it.

i've had a brew (more than one brew) sitting in a glass in direct sunlight and it skunked IN THE GLASS. it wasn't skunked when i poured, or when i drank the first half of it, but after i sat there with it soaking up the sun, it was skunked before it was warm.

that said, it won't happen in unfermented wort. see revvy's text wall ^^^^^ up there.
I live in El Paso, TX.. When we were teens we used to hop the border to Juarez, Mexico to go to the bars. The Coronas there are a lot more skunky than those you buy in the states.. I'm guessing they stored them in direct light. Most people around here actually like it that way.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #23
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Most people around here actually like it that way.
weird. i can't stand the stuff, never could. seems like they bottle in clear glass so it becomes light struck, intentionally.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #24
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
weird. i can't stand the stuff, never could. seems like they bottle in clear glass so it becomes light struck, intentionally.
I believe they do. I think they consider it part of the character of their beer.. I drink one maybe twice a year just to go down memory lane and remember the good old days when you could walk over the bridge to Mexico without getting shot!!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
bierandbikes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for all the great info. After the first couple of replies I thought I was crazy, but then I remembered where I got the info. In Randy Mosher's book, "Tasting Beer", (page 61), he states in regards to the skunky aroma,

"Formed by a reaction of a precursor in hop bittering compounds (isohumulones) to blue light. May happen in a matter of seconds, even in a fluorescent-lit cooler case.

I believe Revvy had the answer that I needed for my initial question...this reaction only occurs in fermented beer, not in the unfermented wort.

Great info all around. Brown bottles it is, and no Corona or Heiniken skunk brew for me.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

This probably irrevelant, but before I had the fermenters for 10 gallon batches I was brewing double batches of 5. I made two 5 gallon batches of the same beer (canned wort kits), with the same yeast. Pitched both yeast same time, racked both on same time, bottled both on same time. Both were stored in the same dark closet, at the same temp.
One batch came out a little skunky, while the other batch came out great. Wasn't a big deal I gave the skunky beers to my friend, he said the first few bottles he could hardly drink them, but when he had them all gone he called me up wanted to know if I could make it again, lol.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierandbikes View Post

I believe Revvy had the answer that I needed for my initial question...this reaction only occurs in fermented beer, not in the unfermented wort.
I know when we're doing something new we tend to overthink and worry. But something to realize, in brewing or anything new, is not to lose sight of our own common sense. In this case if you read and see and hear that folks are brewing outside, then you kinda have to think, that what you're concerned about (in your case skunking) must not be a problem, or folks wouldn't be doing it, would we?

In the case of this hobby, we wouldn't be spending out time and money standing around our turkey fryers, in broad day light if our beer was dying while we were doing it.

The American Homebrewer's Association wouldn't be hosting "Teach a friend to brew day" if it was a problem. It would be called "Huddle around your turkey fryer NIGHT" or something instead.

It wouldn't look like this....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Well the reaction occurs with iso-alpha acids, which you don't get until you boil the hops or perform some other process to isomerize the alpha acids
I did point out in my post, "and yeah I know they haven't been isomerized yet."

But this info is good, and that's what I wanted to see - irrefutable data, and you guys certainly delivered

I still say though that I personally haven't experienced such fast skunking and I've drank outside on hot summer days in beer gardens in Germany drinking weizens, pilsners, etc in german Maß glasses. Again, I never said it was a myth, I just think it's blown a little bit out of proportion and still do.

Rev.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #29
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 475

I agree with the data but also that this is blown out of proportion. I have had parties with beers in an open ice cooler for hours without skunking at all. There is a difference between CAN skunk in a matter of minutes and will ABSOLUTELY skunk.

I put most beers in a glass in the summer, nothing skunks when I'm on my porch and I tend to take more than a few minutes to relax, BBQ, and drink a beer. Can anyone explain why beer DOESNT skunk in the sunlight for hours at a time? and I mean that in a truly curious way, I'm not talking down or disagreeing, but I rarely have ever had a beer skunk in sunlight.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
bierandbikes
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Common sense was in place. Just trying to piece this all together. I never would have given it a second thought until I read Mosher's book. I was curious why it is possible to brew outside without ill effects. I was not sure if I would get an answer like, don't brew in direct sunlight if possible...stay in the garage or under some shade...or just brew it and don't worry about sunlight.

The science of brewing is interesting. I guess that is the German in me showing itself.

BTW...I too have sat in many a German biergarten and drank wonderful Weizen. However, it is a rare day in Germany to get a perfectly clear sky. Nonetheless, I always attributed the lack of skunking to the speed at which my glass emptied. I think a future question is going to be looking for a good Weizen recipe.

Paul

Quick Reply