Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ötbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #11
bwomp313
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

krausen only lasted for like a day. it's still cloudy as all hell. took a gravity just now and it's at 1.020. Hopefully it's gonna go another 6 points or so

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #12
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This is interesting. What does this look like? Any real color to it? I'm curious to hear how this turns out.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
bwomp313
Recipes 

it's still like milky cloudy tan ish. Hopefully, it keeps going though from last night's gravity check because at that point it's only 2.88% abv. I can't have that. I'll check it again in a couple of days and if it's still around there I'll have to grab me some beano. But then I'd be worried it'd dry out too much.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 19

How is this coming along?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
bwomp313
Recipes 

I checked the gravity a few days ago and it was down to 1.018. That only puts her at 3.3%. She's sitting at a nice 58 degrees. Clearing up nice by the looks of it. I'll definitely give me info when available. She's waiting in line to be kegged. I only have a 2 tap system.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #16
BrewMan13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I felt I should respond since I'm in the middle of a beer much like this, just stronger (my goal is to make an oatwine).
grain bill for 2.5 gallons was:
9.5 lbs oat malt
2 lbs flaked oats
1lb brown sugar
Wyeast 1056

My OG was low compared to what I expected; ended up at 1.080. Wort was cloudy as hell and remained so through active fermentation. After that (3-4 days) it settled out some. After 8 days I got curious and took a gravity sample/taste test. Was still at 1.030. Since it has been visually inactive for a few days, I didn't have confidence that leaving it alone would drop the gravity, so I added some more brown sugar, yeast nutrient/energizer and amalyse enzyme (not sure if I needed all that, but I had it so figured it couldn't hurt).
Taste was interesting; certainly drinkable...thought it seemed rather boozy even though it really isn't yet. Was also thinner then I expected it would be (maybe cause of the sugar). Will need a lot of secondary time, but all my kegs are filled, so that's not a problem. Gonna be patient with it.

Ales From The Crypt Brewing
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Pumpkin Ale
Fermenting: Smoked pepper porter
On Deck:

Last edited by BrewMan13; 12-01-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #17
bwomp313
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMan13 View Post
I felt I should respond since I'm in the middle of a beer much like this, just stronger (my goal is to make an oatwine).
grain bill for 2.5 gallons was:
9.5 lbs oat malt
2 lbs flaked oats
1lb brown sugar
Wyeast 1056

My OG was low compared to what I expected; ended up at 1.080. Wort was cloudy as hell and remained so through active fermentation. After that (3-4 days) it settled out some. After 8 days I got curious and took a gravity sample/taste test. Was still at 1.030. Since it has been visually inactive for a few days, I didn't have confidence that leaving it alone would drop the gravity, so I added some more brown sugar, yeast nutrient/energizer and amalyse enzyme (not sure if I needed all that, but I had it so figured it couldn't hurt).
Taste was interesting; certainly drinkable...thought it seemed rather boozy even though it really isn't yet. Was also thinner then I expected it would be (maybe cause of the sugar). Will need a lot of secondary time, but all my kegs are filled, so that's not a problem. Gonna be patient with it.
I was definitely considering adding the amylase as well but decided not to. What was your mash temp for it?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
BrewMan13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It was like 152-153 (I don't have the best thermometer so that's a ballpark). Also have honestly never done an iodine test nut will from now on.

Ales From The Crypt Brewing
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Pumpkin Ale
Fermenting: Smoked pepper porter
On Deck:

Old 12-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
bwomp313
Recipes 

When I first started all grain I was always very anal with doing iodine tests. Never ever had a positive with a 60-90 minute mash. In normal all barley mashes I don't think it's necessary with how well converted modern malts are. With this beast however, I think iodine was necessary. I ended up mashing for over 90 minutes and I was still getting a positive. Then I just said screw it and went to the brew kettle with it.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #20
bwomp313
Recipes 

Just transferred her to keg/bottles. She finished at 1.017 which sits her at 3.4%ABV. Smells great, caramelly and tasted pretty good. Straw gold color. I'll try and post pics once she's drinkable. I'm thinking maybe it'd be interesting to do a decoction with an all oat beer since it's not the most modified malt in the world and also because decoction mashes are fun.

Quick Reply