Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > original gravity way lower than expected

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #31
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,606
Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
The best example I can think of showing stratification of solutions is a trying to pour a back and tan... without a spoon. Even with a spoon it is difficult achive something other than just brown.
Not really the best example, but you are somewhat correct. Some mixing will occur.

However; water and the finished wort, aren't anywhere near the same specific gravity. The best example that you can see if simple.

Take a glass, fill it with water 3/4 of the way full. Top it off with maple syrup. Both are thin.

Pour the syrup in as rough as you'd like. Watch the bottom of the glass.
It'll collect most of the heavy gravity syrup. The water will taste sweet, but mix it up, and taste it again... it'll be sweeter.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #32
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WoodlandBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 1,740
Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Not really the best example, but you are somewhat correct. Some mixing will occur.

However; water and the finished wort, aren't anywhere near the same specific gravity. The best example that you can see if simple.

Take a glass, fill it with water 3/4 of the way full. Top it off with maple syrup. Both are thin.

Pour the syrup in as rough as you'd like. Watch the bottom of the glass.
It'll collect most of the heavy gravity syrup. The water will taste sweet, but mix it up, and taste it again... it'll be sweeter.
I agree the black and tan was not a great example, but syrup isn't either.
The sugar in the syrup is not in solution. I gave that example in a earlier post. The tequila sunrise is a better example than the black and tan or water and syrup.
__________________

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

WoodlandBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #33
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,419
Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
The sugar in the syrup is not in solution
Sure it is. When you're making maple syrup, you actually measure the process with a hydrometer or refractometer. I'd say it's pretty similar to the tequila sunrise example, since grenadine is basically a pretty high SG sugar syrup.
__________________
zachattack is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #34
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WoodlandBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 1,740
Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I'd say it's pretty similar to the tequila sunrise example, since grenadine is basically a pretty high SG sugar syrup.
Agreed, that is closer. Although maple syup is about 1.300, and Grenadine is about 1.250, and we are talking about a 1.100 wort.
__________________

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

WoodlandBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #35
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,606
Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
I agree the black and tan was not a great example, but syrup isn't either.
The sugar in the syrup is not in solution. I gave that example in a earlier post. The tequila sunrise is a better example than the black and tan or water and syrup.

When you make maple syrup, it's pretty much like boiling down wort. Maple sap runs like water. You boil it down to concentrate the sugars.. It's very much like wort.
__________________

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

FATC1TY is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WoodlandBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 1,740
Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

I agree working with maple syrup is like working with a 1.300 wort. That is higher than any wort I have ever made and much higher than what the OP had. The most he could have had was a 1.133 and that would be with 100% conversion and an impossible 100% lautering efficiency. Because he had to top off, insufficient sparge water is likely the most significant issue here, not stratification. stratification may account for half a dozen points at most here.

__________________

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

WoodlandBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Original gravity lower than expected carloschuck Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 05-21-2012 03:21 AM
Gravity lower than expected bredstein Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-09-2011 09:51 PM
Gravity Lower Than Expected EisBerg Extract Brewing 9 06-28-2009 02:38 AM
Took a Much Lower Gravity Reading than expected devaspawn Mead Forum 3 05-23-2008 10:29 PM
Lower than expected final gravity jmulligan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 04-21-2008 03:52 PM