Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Original Gravity Low for Double IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
lundy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Original Gravity Low for Double IPA

So I just finished brewing what was supposed to be a Double IPA and I hit a wall when i saw my original gravity atr 1.056 and i was aiming for 1.108.

I have a had some issues in the past with other beers but not nearly this bad. I am fairly new to all grain brewing but i have had 2 successfull batches before this one where i hit my numbers.

Im not sure if this is an issue with the amount of grain I had, which was 19 lbs.

Any input would be awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

that is way far off, any chance the grain hadn't been crushed?

Old 06-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

you're leaving a ton of info out. That said, I'd look at the crush for sure. that's the number 1 culprit. how did you come to the target of 1.108?

Old 06-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts

Also, what was your target efficiency? Typically, brewing a beer that big will reduce your efficiency by about 10%.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
lundy
Recipes 

The crush should be ok. Ive been using the same mill at the supply store for a while and ive not had a problem, Unless over crushing causes a big issue with loss of sugars.
The numbers i have came from pro-mash. Ive been using that program for a long time and the SG numbers I have used have been all good for the time i have been brewing. It assumes a efficiency of 75% all the time. ( You can change it), but like i said i have always hit the numbers right on or slightly lower.
Even if I lower my efficiency 10% im still WAY off on my gravity. To get the epic fail I have my efficiency would be close to 40%, which i have NEVER had before.

let me know what else you need to know, Im new to the forums, so im not sure all the stuff you guys look at.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
lundy
Recipes 

I am batch sparging and on this particular time i put a bit to much water in and had extra rinse water in the mash tun. Would that cause a massive efficiency drop.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
JimmytheGeek
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
I am batch sparging and on this particular time i put a bit to much water in and had extra rinse water in the mash tun. Would that cause a massive efficiency drop.
Not sure how it would relate to efficiency, but too much water will reduce your gravity quite a bit.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
lundy
Recipes 

I dont think it was all that but that might have played a hand. I would have needed 3 extra gallons to go as low as i did.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

What do you mash in?
Mash water to grain ratio?
How much water did you sparge with?
Did you remove ALL the clumps in the mash at the start? I've seen this bugger your efficiency before.

We need to have more information about the batch process in order to narrow it down. It's pretty obvious that you didn't mash well. The reason could be any of several, or a combination of them.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
lundy
Recipes 

Mash tun is a 52 qt rectangular cooler. I am fairly certain that I removed all the clumps of grain, as i didnt find any dry spots in my mash. water to grain ratio was about 1.2 , 6 gallons to 19 lbs of grain. Mashed for an hour. I did get a stuck mash as i am draining with a pvc manifold. I fixed it by blowing through my drain tube to clear the manifold. Probably not good for oxidation and such but I didnt have much choice. after it unclogged it drained smooth. I dumped in roughly 4 gallons of water to sparge with and then drained. That turned out to be a bit to much drain water becasue i only had that one rinse. I immidiatly went to boil and the rest of the process.

Quick Reply