The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Organic Grain Suppliers ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Oakwoodforge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Organic Grain Suppliers ?

Any body have a link for a good organic malt ( grain ) Supplier that doesn't gouge for shipping ?

Norther Brewer has a really limited selection, and Seven Bridges Charges 50% of the merchandise total for shipping WTF ?

Jens

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try Brewers supply group. They carry the Briess line of organic malts.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
thedude123
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They only sell to wholesalers.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Jens,

You should understand what you're talking about before you sound off about "gouging".

Speaking as a person whose small business ships everything - we sell on the internet - there is nothing out of line with Seven Bridges' shipping policy except your expectations. Shipping has gone through the roof. Been to a gas station lately? There's only so much you can absorb into your pricing structure before you start losing so much money that you either A., increase prices, or B., fold.

Did you even read their shipping policy? Here's the story. I'll excerpt the important bit here:

Quote:
Shipping cost is based on weight and we charge what UPS or Fedex charges us to ship your package.
Homebrew supplies are heavy and bulky. That costs money. Don't believe me? Take a fifteen-pound box to your local UPS store, get a quote for shipping the distance between you and 7 Bridges, and watch the guy's face when you tell him he's gouging you.

The days of cheap or free shipping are over. Don't like it? Tough. It ain't changing.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Oakwoodforge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah Bob,
Everything is going up but the wages , I know, it sucks. I don't want to get political or piss off anyone, just looking for organic malted grain.

My business ships between 50 -60 packages of heavy old truck parts every day with UPS, so I know full and well what fuel surcharges and such have gone up to, its pretty sick really. However my company would charge $16 to ship the same size and weight package as the other place wants $37 according to the online calculator...

Possibly I should have just asked for a Supplier in the Midwest with a good selection of Organic malt, eh ?

Prost !

Jens

Last edited by Oakwoodforge; 06-26-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
Bob
Recipes 

I sincerely apologize for the vitriol, Jens. I should have re-read that post before hitting send. The word "gouge" just really gets me all wound up. I hear it daily from people, especially overseas.

It's weird how the calculators work. The difference between FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery is sometimes bewildering.

But when you boil it all down, people are unreasonable to expect free or low-cost shipping. Trouble is, we're all used to it from years of competitive shipping prices amongst retailers. The larger you are, the more you can afford to absorb shipping costs. Even some homebrewing suppliers can do that to a certain extent. But it's so tough as to be impossible to do that when you're smaller.

I'm glad you understand, and please accept my apology. I'll try to lay off the caffeine.

Bob

Edit: I love brewing with organics (as my sig indicates). Unfortunately, I don't know of any full-line organics supplier other than Seven Bridges. You could probably convince your LHBS to order stuff for you; Briess make enough different malts, and I think the hops come through LD Carlson. But you'll pay a premium for that, too. Maybe you can convince some of your local club members to join you in a bulk order...?

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub

Old 06-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.breworganic.com/ Ive purchased a few things from seven bridges and it seems to be a great supplier. Yes it is expensive but it is organic so what do you expect.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavisii View Post
http://www.breworganic.com/ Ive purchased a few things from seven bridges and it seems to be a great supplier. Yes it is expensive but it is organic so what do you expect.
Wow their grain prices seem very reasonable, but shipping was $22 for enough grain to make a 5 gallon batch, that's a bit steep.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
Bob
Recipes 

Quote:
Wow their grain prices seem very reasonable, but shipping was $22 for enough grain to make a 5 gallon batch, that's a bit steep.
Did you read this whole thread? If not, please see my manifesto, labeled Post #4.

Summary: It's not steep. Your expectations are off. Shipping is an expensive bitch.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub

Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Did you read this whole thread? If not, please see my manifesto, labeled Post #4.

Summary: It's not steep. Your expectations are off. Shipping is an expensive bitch.

Cheers,

Bob
No, my expectations are not off, $22 for a 13lb box is excessive, and anyone would be nuts to pay it.

Quick Reply