*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ordinary Bitter with American Ale Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Ale to the Chief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Not to hijack, but i can also lend my opinion. I think WLP023 is cleaner than WY1275. Pitch the appropriate amount of yeast and run a fermentation around 65 degrees and you would have a nice bitter, not super esthery, subtle and balanced. that is my experience.

With either of these strains, I reccomend cold crash and gelatin.
That's great...thanks for the advice! I will read up on that yeast on the white labs website.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale to the Chief View Post
Cool, thanks again. Is there one of the 3 that you list which you like the best? Is one the "cleanest" tasting?
I tend to like 1318 best, but 1028 is probably the "cleanest" tasting of the three. Cleanest doesn't equal best (or even good) in my opinion. There are many compounds various strains of yeast throw off, in various quantities. The right esters, at the right levels, tastes great, as far as I'm concerned. The wrong ones, or the right ones at the wrong levels, taste bad. The Whitbread strain is one example of one that just doesn't work for me. I like 1318; it tastes nothing like S-04 and the like. Try it and see what you think. It also has the benefit of being a very forgiving and easy-to-use yeast.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply