The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Orange Peel in a Mac and Jacks Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
GroosBrewz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Orange Peel in a Mac and Jacks Clone

Hey all-

Going to try a Mac and Jacks (greatest beer ever- If you are from WA state, you've had it) clone today.. thinking of tossing in a few dried bitter orange peel to get a little more "citrusy" type flavor that thius beer is known for.. I've never used orange peel and I wonder if the orange peels I bought (just says dried bitter orange peel) is the same as dried valencia orange peels that I have read about other poeople using.. Also, does it go into the boil? If so, how long in the boil? The full 60 minutes? What kind of flavor can I expect? I am thinking of using a half oz.....

Thanks and wish me luck..

Chris

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Bitter orange peel adds bitterness, not "orangeness"....

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Throw them in your secondary fementer for a couple weeks. Make sure they are sanitized

Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
JMack
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm just finishing a Belgian Wit that used bitter orange peel. Went in for the last 15 of the boil. Came out with a hint of orange peel aroma and a noticeable bitterness. Very tasty.

Fermenting: None
Bottled: None
On the Way: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Gotta try the Dunkelweizen again.
Gone: AHS Belgian Wit, BB Kolsch

Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

thanks guys-

I will not be using the orange peel in this batch.. I am looking for "fruity" not bitter.. I think I should get the fruity esters from the use of the cascade hops and the british ale yeast.. Or at least I hope.... Anyone else a MAc and Jacks fan? They are out of Redmond, WA and their African Amber Ale is to die for.....

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 3- Twilight Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Huge fan here. It's my next brew in the order. I have to find a 1/2 Grain 1/2 Extract recipe as I'm not set up for all grain yet but want the body of the all grain.

As a Noobie take these thoughts for what you will... maybe someone with experience could comment on this thought line?

I was thinking you could take fresh orange peel and squeeze the peel to release the oils for flavor. I was thinking you could do that as you transfered to the secondary for the most bang for the effort and least likely to infect the beer as the alcohol is already present. Then after 2-3 weeks in secondary keg and age as needed until the flavors are balanced.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I made an African Amber clone recently and it came out great, I dry hopped with some fresh 2008 Cascades I bought. It's really amazing the aroma and taste difference between these really fresh hops and the 2007 packages my LHBS is still selling.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 01-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FxdGrMind View Post
Huge fan here. It's my next brew in the order. I have to find a 1/2 Grain 1/2 Extract recipe as I'm not set up for all grain yet but want the body of the all grain.

As a Noobie take these thoughts for what you will... maybe someone with experience could comment on this thought line?

I was thinking you could take fresh orange peel and squeeze the peel to release the oils for flavor. I was thinking you could do that as you transfered to the secondary for the most bang for the effort and least likely to infect the beer as the alcohol is already present. Then after 2-3 weeks in secondary keg and age as needed until the flavors are balanced.
I don't know why this would not work.. Like you said, alcohol is present already so bacteria should not be a huge concern... Although, I dont know how many oranges you would need to actually squeeze enough oil to make a difference... Seems like it might be a lot....

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 3- Twilight Clone

Old 01-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
I made an African Amber clone recently and it came out great, I dry hopped with some fresh 2008 Cascades I bought. It's really amazing the aroma and taste difference between these really fresh hops and the 2007 packages my LHBS is still selling.
I bet it makes a a huge difference.. I used a mix of 2007 leaf cascades and 2008 pellets.... I hope it turns out good.. Unfortunately, and as usual with my first six all grain attempts (this was my 7th), I missed my OG...Oh well, I am sure it will still be a good brew...

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 3- Twilight Clone

Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
JMack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FxdGrMind View Post
I think that you would still get more bitterness than fruit flavor with that technique.

Fermenting: None
Bottled: None
On the Way: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Gotta try the Dunkelweizen again.
Gone: AHS Belgian Wit, BB Kolsch

Quick Reply