New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Options for not doing single infusion mash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
pretzelb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's the mashout step that throws me. I assume that if you include that step you want to heat the mash tun prior to the first drain. I can't do that since my mash tun is a cooler. The other option is to add hot water to the existing water (again prior to first drain) but that would take a bunch of water I would think. Plus, if you did that then what would your sparge be (if anything) since you've just added a bunch more water to the mash tun prior to any draining.

It seems like ProMash is either calling the mashout a batch sparge, or it's saying that by adding the water for the mashout you don't need a sparge. Or it's saying totally nothing about the sparge step.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Adding "a bunch of hot water" to achieve a mash out would be a second infusion (double infusion mash). That's probably not practical for your rig.

Do what was suggested above.

Add the recommended amount of water to achieve a 147° F single infusion mash. Rest for 60 minutes.

Toward the end of the rest, heat the recommended amount of sparge water to 180° F.

Vorlauf and drain the mash/lauter tun. As the runnings go into the kettle, begin heating the wort for boiling.

When the first runnings are in the kettle, add the hot sparge water to the mash/lauter tun, stir, vorlauf, and drain again.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

It's surprising they call for a single infusion at 147°F since starches have trouble gelatinizing below 149°F.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply