Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ontario, Canada grain stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Killercal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ontario, Canada grain stores

Wow,

I was just online today to purchase some grain and found that mashingheads.com is closed and expertbrewers.com has absolutley no product. I know about homebrew-supplies.ca, but the other two sites were cheaper. I've sent emails to both closed places and will let you know my findings (Ontario homebrewers). Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 47

How close are you to North Country in upstate NY? If you're looking for bulk it might be worth the trip.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'm going to rant a bit here... I find Ontario pretty much useless for homebrewing supplies. Places opening and closing, high prices, questionable service and advice. It's a backwater for homebrewers.

I envy the folks in the US (for their LHBS anyway ) with the low prices, vast quantity and variety of supplies and ingredients. Must be nice.

YMMV

Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Killercal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcollins View Post
I'm going to rant a bit here... I find Ontario pretty much useless for homebrewing supplies. Places opening and closing, high prices, questionable service and advice. It's a backwater for homebrewers.

I envy the folks in the US (for their LHBS anyway ) with the low prices, vast quantity and variety of supplies and ingredients. Must be nice.

YMMV
Spot on! Thats exactly what I think! Where do you get your grains/brew equipment from?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Killercal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad coffee View Post
How close are you to North Country in upstate NY? If you're looking for bulk it might be worth the trip.

B
I'm about 2 hrs away from NY, I live a little north of Toronto. That might be a good suggestion, bulk buy with multiple Ontario brewers.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Killercal, I'm in Cambridge but am frequently back and forth to London during the school year. I buy by supplies at Brewhaven in London. They're decent. They know enough to be helpful, prices are okay considering I'm not paying for shipping and the variety is decent for grains and hops. I only extract brew right now and that is one thing they definitely lack. They only have pale LME and non-diastatic DME. meh

I have tried Danny's in London also and they are good. A bit more variety but for extract it's the opposite: they have more selection of DME and no bulk LME. Again, meh.

Maybe search online for Southern Ontario Brewers (SOB) and hook up with them for bulk grain/supply buys. Maybe get friendly with one of the breweries up your way like Muskoka, Lake of Bays or Flying Monkeys. I know some breweries don't want to be LHBS but they may be helpful in buying an extra grain bag on one of their orders or something. What's the worst that they can say? No?

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Killercal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, there is a cool u-brew place here in Barrie, Brews Plus, that seem like they might be able to supply some grain to me or maybe as you mentioned a bulk buy. I'm part of the SOB's, but haven't really gotten into the bulk buy yet as I've really just started out (olny brewed 4 All grain batches). I live 5 minutes from the Flying Monkeys brewery and took the tour, they are really nice in there! They even offered to let me brew with them on brew day if I wanted too. When they order their grain its delivered by a truck and the grain is pumped into a holding silo, they don't get it deliverd in bags so that option would be out with them.

Thanks for the idea, I will likely get in contact with the SOB's and get in on a bulk grain buy.

Cheers

Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
BlackTieBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The SOB's had a bulk buy not that long ago so it might be a while before their next one. You could check out www.homebrewgearcanada.com, cheap grain prices and flat rate shipping, out of Owen Sound so somewhat close to you in Barrie.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
Killercal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTieBrewing View Post
The SOB's had a bulk buy not that long ago so it might be a while before their next one. You could check out www.homebrewgearcanada.com, cheap grain prices and flat rate shipping, out of Owen Sound so somewhat close to you in Barrie.
Excellent site, that one is new to me! Looks like a good site and I will be placing an order with them soon (they don't have enough Marris Otter).

Old 06-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #10
Joe Camel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you tried Gilbertson and Page? They sell malt to the craft breweries and the general public. Google them, they're not that far from you either

Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
-Deaner

Quick Reply