Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > One gallon brews..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
Aust1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default One gallon brews..

I am new to this addiction.

I really want to try a lot of different stuff and get familiar (sp?) with the techniques and ingredients out there. How many of you do one gallon samples? I have a bunch of cider jars that would work well as the primaries. How many of you do one gallon tests?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
jacobyhale

Recipes 

I just did a 3 gallon AG batch. It sure was nice doing it inside when it's 15degrees outside. Also, as I am new to All Grain as well, it's nice being able to practice and hone my technique without wasting a 5gallon batch! I see many more 3gal or even 2 gallon batches in my future.

Quote:
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart
Primary1:
BierMunchers "OctoberFAST" Ale
Primary 2:
Nada
Secondary 1:

Secondary 2:
Nada
Bottled/kegged:
8-8-8 RIS - EdWorts Haas Pale - EdWort's Appfelwein - O'Flannagain's Standard Stout - Bust A Nut Brown
Up next:
A Blonde....just don't tell my brunette wife

Old 01-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
derogg
Recipes 

For all grain brewing , I think the amount of effort requires you to make larger batches. This is not to say you can't brew a small batch, but you will still need to put the same time in. Is it worth your time to spend 3 or more hours for one gallon of beer? - Dirk

Bier frisch und gut, schafft frohen Mut.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 AM   #4
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derogg
Is it worth your time to spend 3 or more hours for one gallon of beer? - Dirk
That's it right there. If you're going to do small batches you can do 3 gallon batches in the same amount of time as a 1 gallon batch. Also, a 1 gallon cider jug won't have enough head space for a 1 gallon batch. You'd end up doing all that work for about a 6 pack. I say go with 3 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carboy if you want to do small batches

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

I like the idea, but not necessarily for a different beer per fermenter.

You could mash a full batch and pull 4 gallons of wort, then using 4 different pots with a gallon in each (one per burner on most stoves) you can experiment with different boil lengths and hop additions. After boil, you should have +- .75gallon per fermenter leaving some head space in each jug. You can also experiment with different yeasts or pitching rates in each fermenter. Just make sure to label each jug with the details.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #6
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have done a 1 gallon batch of extract that was not to bad to do. I would do it again if I wanted to see what a single hop flavor was like. Now that I am all grain I would not even do a 3 gallon batch to much work too little beer.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #7
derogg
Recipes 

Gruntingfrog has the right idea. Mash a normal batch worth and then change the yeast and hops to play around. - Dirk

Bier frisch und gut, schafft frohen Mut.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 AM   #8
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also one gallon cider glass jugs are a decent place to start experimenting with meads without breaking the bank.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I occasionally make 1 gallon batches using this method http://www.18000feet.com/minimash/page1.htm

Old 01-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't let the naysayers talk you out of it. I recently started making a couple 1 gallon batches and they're fun!

First of all, I brew outside, and don't have a garage. Some of my gear is in my basement, and some is in the shed. By the time I get everything set up, brew, cleaned up and put away, I've invested almost 6 hours. Because of this, I can't really brew during the work week, which only leaves the weekends. Weather can scrub out brewing on the weekends since I don't have any cover.

Anyway...

I started using the Brew in a Bag method that I first read about here. It seems to work very well, and I have everything cleaned up and in the fermenter in under 3 and a half hours inside on my stovetop. It seems to require a lot less babysitting than a full batch, so I can do other things while it's mashing and boiling. It will probably only take an investment of around $6 to get started.

When I brew my next one, I'll document it and put it on my web page. Until then, here are some thoughts.

Set your oven to around 150, then when you mash in, move your pot into the oven to keep temperature.

Think about getting a refractometer to measure your gravities. With a 1 gallon batch, you'll notice the ounces that you use for a hydrometer reading.

I have been using the foam control drops to squeeze as much into the fermenter as possible without having a blowoff problem.

If you're careful, you can probably get around 8 bottles out of a batch.

If you're planning a full-size batch of a big beer or a lager, brew a 1 gallon batch of the same beer. You'll have a starter that you can drink!

Interested in trying a step mash? You can change the mash temp very easily/quickly with a one gallon batch, by direct heat.

Like I said, the next time I brew a 1 gallon batch, I'll document it.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Quick Reply