Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Once you AG, do you extract?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewnoob1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 982
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Once you AG, do you extract?

Just a question for the masses for AG brewers. Do you guys strictly AG after moving to AG or do you ever throw in an extract batch when lazy or limited on time to get some brew in your pipeline?

I have nothing fermenting and down to about 7 gallons of brew left in the keg and need something done soon. I just don't have the umph in me these days to spend 6hrs brewing an AG batch. Plus, my efficiency has been sucking badly and I can't quite figure out why. So with that said, I'm thinking about doing a few extract batches to just get something going for me. Except now, I feel like an AG snob and love the taste of my AG and am forgetful what my extract tasted like...so am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thoughts?

__________________

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Brewnoob1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
inhousebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,424
Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

I did a few when I first started all grain brewing. But then I started doing small 2.5-3 gallon BIAB batches on the stovetop. For me it is easier with less equipment, less hassle and a bit let time involved so I've just been doing these when I feel lazy. There is nothing wrong with a good crafted and fresh extract recipe made with enough yeast and the proper fermentation temp!

__________________

I hate Walder Frey...

inhousebrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HBngNOK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Harrah, OK
Posts: 354
Liked 69 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
Just a question for the masses for AG brewers. Do you guys strictly AG after moving to AG or do you ever throw in an extract batch when lazy or limited on time to get some brew in your pipeline?

I have nothing fermenting and down to about 7 gallons of brew left in the keg and need something done soon. I just don't have the umph in me these days to spend 6hrs brewing an AG batch. Plus, my efficiency has been sucking badly and I can't quite figure out why. So with that said, I'm thinking about doing a few extract batches to just get something going for me. Except now, I feel like an AG snob and love the taste of my AG and am forgetful what my extract tasted like...so am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thoughts?
Who cares what I think you should do? What do you think you should do?
__________________
HBngNOK is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
SVB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Posts: 46
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I sometimes use a little extract when I cant fit enough grain in my mash tun to hit the gravity I want.
If your having efficiency issues go back to the basics. Thats what I did (Laziness being my main issue), my efficiency went from 50-60 to 91%, and its been at 91% for the last 2 batches. I expect it will stay there, unless I do something real high gravity.

__________________
SVB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,087
Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

I have never done a extract beer.....Until this weekend coming up. A buddy wants to try to make beer and wants to start with extract. Been reading up on how to do a extract batch and it does not seem to hard.

__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewnoob1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 982
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBngNOK View Post
Who cares what I think you should do? What do you think you should do?
Just looking for opinions to see if I'm all alone in my thinking or if others out there deal with the same type of stuff (whether big or small and in this case...super small...just curious more than anything)
__________________

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Brewnoob1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewnoob1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 982
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
I have never done a extract beer.....Until this weekend coming up. A buddy wants to try to make beer and wants to start with extract. Been reading up on how to do a extract batch and it does not seem to hard.
It's super easy...as is AG honestly...but AG takes WAAAAAAY longer. I can start to finish with cleanup an extract batch in under 2 hours.
__________________

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Brewnoob1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 636
Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I've never gone back. Why does a batch take six hours? I mean, for a decoction, a 90-minute boil, a 10 gallon batch or partigyle or something like that I guess I can see it, but my brew day for a normal single infusion beer looks like this:

0:00 Start water, grind grain
0:20 Water at mash-in temp, dough in
1:20 Drain MLT, batch sparge
1:50 Bring wort to boil, add hops, start 1 hr boil
3:00 Boil finishes, start wort chiller
3:20 Wort chilled, whirlpool
3:40 Rack and pitch yeast, clean up

I clean up along the way, so I don't have huge amounts of stuff left to clean when I get done. But this gets me from grinding grain to putting on the airlock in under 4 hours. Back when I switched I was actually surprised that it doesn't take that much more time to brew AG than it does to brew extract, particularly if you're steeping specialty grains. The only real additional step is the sparge. Does it normally take six hours for folks to brew beer?

__________________
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;
jerrodm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewnoob1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 982
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm View Post
I've never gone back. Why does a batch take six hours? I mean, for a decoction, a 90-minute boil, a 10 gallon batch or partigyle or something like that I guess I can see it, but my brew day for a normal single infusion beer looks like this:

0:00 Start water, grind grain
0:20 Water at mash-in temp, dough in
1:20 Drain MLT, batch sparge
1:50 Bring wort to boil, add hops, start 1 hr boil
3:00 Boil finishes, start wort chiller
3:20 Wort chilled, whirlpool
3:40 Rack and pitch yeast, clean up

I clean up along the way, so I don't have huge amounts of stuff left to clean when I get done. But this gets me from grinding grain to putting on the airlock in under 4 hours. Back when I switched I was actually surprised that it doesn't take that much more time to brew AG than it does to brew extract, particularly if you're steeping specialty grains. The only real additional step is the sparge. Does it normally take six hours for folks to brew beer?
It depends on my heating method honestly. When I use the stove, it takes forever to bring up water to mash temp, and then bring it up to a full boil. If I use propane, it takes 20ish minutes. So yeah, I've done AG in 4 hours or so...but it has taken me anywhere from 4-6 just depending on variables.
__________________

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Brewnoob1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shooter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 4,452
Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

It takes me six hours, but my brew gear is scattered about, some in the garage, but I don't brew there for several reasons, most on the second floor, and the rest on the patio, where I actually brew. My setup and takedown probably consume close to an hour. So, yeah, if it was all close at hand I could probably get away with five hours.

This, coupled with the fact I have two kids to keep my busy, means only about half my brews are AG. The rest are a combination of partial mash or various forms of extract, including a rare canned kit here and there.

__________________

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Shooter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extract w/steeped gains vs. Extract Mini-Mash Mikey_Dawg Extract Brewing 13 04-05-2011 05:21 AM
dry malt extract vs. corn sugar for extract brewing Tobyone Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-17-2010 05:09 PM
swapping extract out for organic extract, is only diff color? jigidyjim Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 07-21-2009 04:50 AM
Sapporo Clone with Extract - please recommend rice extract amount NitrouStang96 Recipes/Ingredients 0 04-10-2008 07:19 PM
Conversion Equations: AG to Extract and vice versa || Grain, Extract, Hops, Boil size NitrouStang96 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-01-2008 03:44 AM