Well, after 2 years of getting 75 - 80% efficiency batch sparging using the Bobby_M Double Batch Sparge - No mash out method, I got 89% today. Um.
First, a couple variables that did not change.
- Crush using my Crankandstien using the same gap I have been using for quite a while.
- I am halfway through a 55lb sack of Maris Otter, so base grain has been consistent the last few brews.
- equipment is all the same, initial volumes were on, temps were on, final volume is spot on 5.5 gallons.
Now, for the only changes I can think of that would account for a sudden 10 point efficiency gain.
- This was a smallish beer. Planned OG was 1.056 (based on 78% avg.). measured OG 1.064. Most of the beers I make are >1.080, so a slight bump for a small beer would be expected, but 10%?
- I read an old post by biermuncher about a hybrid batch/fly sparge and decided to give it a go instead of drain, fill, wait, drain, fill, wait, drain. I cracked the outlet open, and hoisted the sparge water up on a stepstool, and gave it a go. I wasnt hoping for an efficiency gain, but a simplicity gain. I use a braid, so I did not think it would make a big difference.
Not sure what caused the sudden jump, and normally I would be thrilled, except this was supposed to be a small beer to build a nice healthy cake for a Quad. I didnt make a starter