Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Old Leghumper brew day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #11
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Looks like my FG is going to be slightly higher than planned, which is always a good thing!
Or you could calculate how much boiling water to add to get to your FG. based on the evaproation rate that you measure during the boil. That's what I do. I may have more wort than fits in my primary but I can always use it for starters or priming.

But gettig a higher than anticipated FG may be a good thing too

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #12
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Any leghumpin' goin' on yet?

Old 05-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Or you could calculate how much boiling water to add to get to your FG. based on the evaproation rate that you measure during the boil. That's what I do. I may have more wort than fits in my primary but I can always use it for starters or priming.

But gettig a higher than anticipated FG may be a good thing too

Kai
Okay...elaborate? How do you calculate how much water to add to get to a certain OG? Why boiling water? If you add water to teh boil pot it will get sanitized anyway, right? Or are you saying you add it at the end of the boil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Any leghumpin' goin' on yet?
I was waiting for you to come over.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #14
Kaiser

Recipes 

May be to late for this batch:

(preboil_SG - 1) * preboil_volume = (postboil_SG - 1) * postboil_volume

using the above equation, you can determine the postboil_volume:

postboil_volume = (preboil_SG - 1) * preboil_volume / (postboil_SG - 1)

Now you know your anticipated postboil_volume. If you also know your boil-off rate, you can determine the actual volume after the boil and add the difference in boiling water. You can also use cold water, but it will stop you boil for a while (but so does inserting the chiller for me ) and may cause hot side aeration. You are correct with the sanitation.

If you don't know your boil-off rate you need to determine it. Either at the end of the boil or during the boil by stopping the boil for a moment. If you do it at the end, you may want to add boiled water to be sanitary and avoid hot side aeration.

Kai

Old 05-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #15
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If I'm going to adjust my batch to gravity (meaning I got higher than expected efficiency), I just add enough top off water in the fermentor to hit the target FG which has the added benefit of adding some oxygen as well as slight cooling. Promash has a dilution calculator which, given a current gravity reading and a target gravity, will tell you how much straight water to add.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #16
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Quote:
If I'm going to adjust my batch to gravity (meaning I got higher than expected efficiency), I just add enough top off water in the fermentor to hit the target FG which has the added benefit of adding some oxygen as well as slight cooling. Promash has a dilution calculator which, given a current gravity reading and a target gravity, will tell you how much straight water to add.
yep..that is exactly how I do it.

Kai--thanks for the formula. I think I'm going to add that into my brew spreadsheet.
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #17
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
This is another good way of doing it. I make the adjstments to the wort in the kettle since I don't want to have the problem of needing to top-off more than fits in my 5gal primary carboy.

Kai

Old 05-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #18
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Well...I'll attach this part to this thread because racking/maintenance is part of the brew day sometimes....

I am using the slurry from teh Pub Ale batch, so I just racked it out of the carboy into a keg. I took a gravity sample--1.012. Pretty damn good. then the taste. I actually laughed out loud when I sampled it. The smell is spot on to Boddingtons. Mine isn't as bitter and it is darker--which is good because I wasn't going for a typical Boddingtons "clone", I wanted my own recipe.

I just thought it was funny. When we got home from buying the car last night a Boddingtons sounded good so I poured a pint from one of those widget cans--and when I smelled/tasted mine today it hit me as almost the exact "smell". I found it very interesting.

Overall it is a boring beer but I like it so far. It is what I was shooting for.

Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #19
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Overall it is a boring beer but I like it so far. It is what I was shooting for.
Yes, because we all know that when you set your expectations very low, you will rarely be disappointed.

-walker

Old 05-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #20
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does anyone else get really jealous of Dude while sitting, hard at work (or reading homebrewtalk), while he's at home brewing away, 3 days a week it seems like. You know, I considered going to UC Davis and doing fermentation studies instead of somewhere for cell/molecular biology just because then it just might be my job to brew.

Quick Reply