Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Okay, I Bought a Bar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
BigTexun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Okay, I Bought a Bar

And this bar sells a lot of beer. I make beer... Good beer... And it is cheap to make. How do I obtain a license to brew and consume on premise in the great state of Georgia?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Good question left for your state liquor board to answer...you will also need the blessing of the Fed I believe. However, it is a lengthy process from my understanding so if you are serious about the venture get the legal stuff going first and while that is occuring in the background then start setting up the brewering. Again, I have no experience just what I have heard so take it for what its worth.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Subscribed. I'd like to know as well.

I know of one microbrewery/restaurant that was doing a ton of business, and was always packed. Then one day, they closed up shop. Rumor was it had something to do with the brewing/serving on premises laws we have here. I don't know if that's true or not, though (hopefully not).

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:
NG line for outdoor burner

Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What bar haha

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The TTB has a checklist for folks wanting to go legit. Start here.

But have plenty of aspirin and you're checkbook handy, it's a pretty complicated and expensive mindfield you're about to tread on....best of luck.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Here's step one.

Quote:
Brewery Qualification

If you’ve decided to brew beer for sale then you must first qualify with TTB by submitting a Brewer’s Notice.

To submit a Brewer’s Notice, you must complete the required documents in the application packet, which is available online. You also may access the necessary forms and documents from the information below.

We will complete our screening and processing within 95 days of receipt of an acceptable Brewer’s Notice application. There is no application fee.

If the premises you will use for this operation is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, you should not begin construction or remodeling until you have contacted your State Historic Preservation Office. Read more.

Starting a new business and understanding the process can be challenging. For an overview of the steps involved in getting started in a TTB-Regulated industry see our Industry Startup Tutorial.

WHAT YOU MUST DO:

First, you should become familiar with TTB regulations related to beer in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 27 Part 25.

The following forms must be properly completed and submitted to TTB:

TTB F 5130.10, Brewer’s Notice
TTB F 5130.22, Brewer’s Bond, or TTB F 5130.25, Brewer’s Collateral Bond, whichever is applicable (TWO ORIGINALS, NO PHOTOCOPIES)
TTB F 5000.9, Personnel Questionnaire, for each officer, director, and stockholders of more than 10 percent, member and partner (SINGLE COPY)
TTB F 5000.29, Environmental Information
TTB F 5000.30, Supplemental Information on Water Quality Considerations
Signing authority, if applicable

In addition, you must file a:

Diagram of the brewery premises
Description of the brewery premises
Legal Description of the Brewery – based on the lot, such as in your county records
Statement describing the security at the brewery

Please provide your e-mail address in Item 9 of the Brewer’s Notice application and a daytime telephone number in the event we need to contact you about your application.

If you have any questions, please contact TTB’s National Revenue Center (NRC) at 1-877-882-3277 or 513-684-2238.

SIGNATURE AUTHORIZATION

If you designate someone to sign documents or act on your behalf, you must submit one of the following with your application:

TTB F 5000.8, Power of Attorney;
TTB F 5100.1, Signing Authority for Corporate and LLC Officials, or complete Item 15 of the Brewer’s Notice; or
Corporate resolution or specific notification in organizational documents granting this authority.

SOLE OWNER

If you are filing as a sole owner and designate someone to sign documents or act on your behalf, you must file TTB F 5000.8, Power of Attorney.

CORPORATION

If you are filing as a corporation, you must also file:

Copy of Articles of Incorporation
Copy of Bylaws
List of officers, directors, and anyone holding 10 percent or more of stock, including addresses, and showing the number of shares held; and
Copy of certificate of incorporation executed by an officer of the State in which incorporated
If incorporated in a different State, a certificate showing authority to operate in the State where the brewery operations will take place is required

LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY

If you are filing as a limited liability company (LLC), you must also file:

Copy of Articles of Organization
Copy of Operating Agreement
Copy of certificate of organization executed by an officer of the State in which organized
List of members/managers, including addresses, and their percentage of interest
LLC Tax Classification Election
If organized in a different State, a certificate showing authority to operate in the State where the brewery operations will take place is required.

PARTNERSHIP

If you are filing as a partnership, you must also file:

Copy of Partnership Agreement
Copy of certificate of partnership where required to be filed by any State, county, or municipality
List of the partners, including addresses, and their percentage of ownership
If there is a verbal agreement rather than written partnership agreement, please provide a written statement to that effect signed by all partners.
All partners must sign each form sent to the NRC, unless they authorize one or more partners to sign individually by executing TTB F 5000.8 for each such authorized partner.
(This is the first section of the ttb link I posted, it has all the other links on it.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds like fun reading.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3595 Times on 2218 Posts
Likes Given: 3094

See, this is why I have a speakeasy.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

LOL.. for Georgia.. you have to be a brewpub.. that means selling food. not only that, but you have to make 50% or more of your income from food sales.. that's on top of the federal, state, county, and city licenses. there's a reason that Georgia has very very few brewpubs.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
codyjp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
LOL.. for Georgia.. you have to be a brewpub.. that means selling food. not only that, but you have to make 50% or more of your income from food sales.. that's on top of the federal, state, county, and city licenses. there's a reason that Georgia has very very few brewpubs.
$20 burgers with 3 free beers?

Quick Reply