Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > OG on IIPA was a little high...1.115

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #71
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky21 View Post
I hope they don't explode.
It did finish high, but my experience with beers this big is that you're only going to get 80 gravity points or so, and he's at 77 so I seriously doubt they're going to explode. The beer could very well be cloyingly sweet though...

Interestingly, look at the 3rd post of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabrew View Post
The fact that you mashed so high might not help your attenuation much.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 86 batches and counting (as of 7/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #72
Herky21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
It did finish high, but my experience with beers this big is that you're only going to get 80 gravity points or so, and he's at 77 so I seriously doubt they're going to explode. The beer could very well be cloyingly sweet though...

Interestingly, look at the 3rd post of this thread:
I saw that too. I'm sure there's a lot more residual sugar given the 158 mash. I'm just guessing that the yeast may have puttered out toward the end too, depending on the starter size and the steps taken to oxygenate etc. In any case, I'd have to enter it into beersmith to get an estimation of the FG at that mash temp with those ingredients. I'd bet it should be a bit lower than it is and that some of the sugars will contribute to carbonation - it will also, be very sweet, or at least have a big malt backbone, I'm sure.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #73
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky21 View Post
I saw that too. I'm sure there's a lot more residual sugar given the 158 mash. I'm just guessing that the yeast may have puttered out toward the end too, depending on the starter size and the steps taken to oxygenate etc. In any case, I'd have to enter it into beersmith to get an estimation of the FG at that mash temp with those ingredients. I'd bet it should be a bit lower than it is and that some of the sugars will contribute to carbonation - it will also, be very sweet, or at least have a big malt backbone, I'm sure.
Agreed. I'm sure BS would say it's supposed to finish 8 pts or so lower, but I find my BS to always calculate finishing gravities a couple pts lower then what I tend to get in practice and always calculate IBUs a couple pts higher then what I get in practice. But I agree it should be a bit lower then what it is now...and it's likely to be very sweet. The one thing the OP has going for him on that front is the fact it was designed as an IIPA to start with, so now it may actually be a sweet barleywine...and possibly not too cloying.

That said, the only beer I've done that came out that high on OG was a Belgian Dark and it was indeed VERY sweet. It finished at 1.030 which was right about what BS said it should finish at. I did that recipe again, cut back on the basemalt a bit and added corn sugar at the end of the boil to hopefully dry this batch out a bit more. I also mashed it lower....at 154, and added a couple of IBUs. It's fermenting now..

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 86 batches and counting (as of 7/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #74
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I tried the first of these over the weekend. It was...okay.

Almost well balanced, but as predicted there was a little too much sweetness, which seemed to increase as I continued to drink. The aroma was nice, and for 10% ABV there was surprisingly little alcohol taste/smell. Plenty of bitterness plus hop flavors, overall not bad, but not exactly what I was hoping for. Nice dense head, but not too foamy by any means. It was a good beer for sipping.

I will probably let most of them age a bit longer, although part of me is thinking about pouring about half the bottles back into a fermenter and tossing some Brett onto it in an attempt at reducing the sweetness. I'm going to have a couple other people try them and see if they taste the same things I do, it is possible it is worse than I think, but that I am blinded by my own wish for it to turn out good.

Soooo, not a total loss, but not exactly living up to expectations is where this beer is at now.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #75
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Thanks for posting an update on this. It does seem interesting to do a sour experiment with these. However I'm uncertain as to the oxidation possibility with Brett doing it's thing while pouring the beer back into a fermenter. Thoughts or more research?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #76
brewhawk35
Recipes 

I can't say that I read this entire post but wouldn't it have been easiest to just boil up 2 more gallons of water and, after cooling it, add it to the carboy in half or quarter gallon increments till you brought your OG down to where you wanted it?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #77
Bobbybob

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Lownotes didn't know for sure if his mash temp was off. Adding water could have fixed nonexistant problems.

Some people need a high five.
In the face.
With a chair!

Old 11-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #78
Herky21

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Watering down the gravity would also water down the IBUs and aroma so its kind if tough to say that wouldve "fixed" this DIPA.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #79
iluvmysh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

in for updates

Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #80
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmysh View Post
in for updates
Well, I have been sidetracked and haven't brewed or even really read/planned anything for the last 4 months, BUT I actually just finished the last bottle of this last night.

It remained sweet, which was too be expected, but it was good for sipping and after a bit more aging I think the flavors did improve. The carbonation definitely got better and ended up exactly where I like it, no bombs but a nice sitisfying *pop* when opening the flip-tops. The hop flavors and aromas remained surprisingly strong even after all the aging. I was expecting those to fade quickly based on what I read, but they stayed strong and might have been my favorite aspect of the beer. It definitely helped balance the sweetness.

All in all, I ended up enjoying it more than I expected after the first tasting, but if I had to do it all over again I would definitely fix the mash temp to be lower. I may be done with attempting huge beers for the time being though, a lot of work/waiting for a relatively small amount of decent beer...I am glad I did it for the experience, but I think I will stick to my more tried-and-true recipes when I do get back into brewing here soon. If I start to feel like experimenting I will probably try a sour beer instead.

Quick Reply