Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > OG on IIPA was a little high...1.115

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #61
LowNotes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucciocioccio View Post
Another option could be to find a barrel used for wine and simply put your beer in it, then let it age for veeeeeeeery long time (a year?). Is something many professional brewers do in Italy, obtaining a lactic acid fermentation that dries and sours the beer, resulting with something similar to a liquorous wine like porto or marsala. Only need a used barrel, space, time and patience.
Hehe, if I could get my hands on a real oak barrel I would jump at the chance, but I don't have the kind of funding to move above plastic buckets and carboys yet =) Maybe one day if my weekend hobby turns into either a "won the lottery hobby" (difficult since I have played twice in my life) or it turns into a "paid off the house and student loans and am about to retire hobby" (much more likely but at least 25-30 years off).

I am one of the few homebrewers that is still determined to get this hobby to save me money overall. My kit was a christmas gift, my brewkettles were originally steamer baskets for seafood that were a wedding present, my bro quit brewing so I got some extra buckets/gear that way, and I do BIAB so really I have spent very little on equipment. Most beers I try to only spend $20-30 for ingredients, although this one broke the bank a wee bit

All that said, I don't think I am going to even use oak for this bad boy. I actually used oak for the first time yesterday, I racked 5g of Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, and decided that adding some oak to that brew would make more sense with the recipe. I steamed some Medium Toast Hungarian Oak Cubes in the microwave, and holy crap did it smell good! It reminded me sooooo much of some really nice wines my wife and I tried in Napa this past fall when we were on a trip for our anniversary. I was not expecting so much flavor/odor to come out so fast when steaming, it was powerful and made me start craving a good red wine. I will definitely be experimenting more with oak, but I don't think this monster is a good test subject.

Oh, also I hope this doesn't sound rude I certainly don't mean it to, but I can't imagine drinking Marsala for enjoyment. I can cook up a couple different marsala sauces that are super delicious, but the thought of drinking that stuff straight makes me cringe. Probably doesn't help that I don't like liqourice flavor.

I'm planning out a sour beer to start in the next 3-4 months that will take 18 months from brew date to first-pour, but faking the barrel flavors/beasties with oak cubes, pinot noir, and some mail-order beasties (Brett + a lacto/pedo belgian blend). It is the "Russian River Supplication" clone from the recipe section but I'll be doing AG instead of partial mash. Very detailed write up that includes info from the brewer and my mouth waters when I imagine the end result.

Sorry for the wall-O-text...I've got beer on the brain today
Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #62
LowNotes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeadly View Post
I'm a little late to the party here, but on carbing with swing-tops...

I have used a variety of swing tops with good, but not perfect, results. The long, thin German Altbier bottles, the more standard pint bottles, and 32oz swing top growlers. I have had great results with the two smaller sizes, but only batting around .600 with the big boys.

The reason is not the glass, nothing has broken on me, it's the seal itself. PSI spikes during bottle conditioning, as the yeast produces CO2 faster than can be absorbed back into the liquid. So for a period of time there, the pressure is quite high in the bottle, and the seal fails. The majority of the CO2 then escapes, leaving you with little to no carbonation returning to the liquid.

RukusDM did an experiment on it, which can be seen here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/bott...review-205862/
I meant to ask earlier...but if you are still checking in on this thread, are there any tricks to help get a better seal on a swing top? I'm wondering if there could be some kind of petroleum jelly type compound to put on the gasket to help give a good seal? Or maybe some sort of food-grade adhesive, or even just some sugar water or molassas or something to give it just a tiny bit more "sticking" power to keep those little CO2 molecules from bouncing out past the gasket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #63
nucciocioccio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNotes View Post
Hehe, if I could get my hands on a real oak barrel I would jump at the chance, but I don't have the kind of funding to move above plastic buckets and carboys yet =) Maybe one day if my weekend hobby turns into either a "won the lottery hobby" (difficult since I have played twice in my life) or it turns into a "paid off the house and student loans and am about to retire hobby" (much more likely but at least 25-30 years off).

I am one of the few homebrewers that is still determined to get this hobby to save me money overall. My kit was a christmas gift, my brewkettles were originally steamer baskets for seafood that were a wedding present, my bro quit brewing so I got some extra buckets/gear that way, and I do BIAB so really I have spent very little on equipment. Most beers I try to only spend $20-30 for ingredients, although this one broke the bank a wee bit

[...]

Oh, also I hope this doesn't sound rude I certainly don't mean it to, but I can't imagine drinking Marsala for enjoyment. I can cook up a couple different marsala sauces that are super delicious, but the thought of drinking that stuff straight makes me cringe. Probably doesn't help that I don't like liqourice flavor.
[...]
Well, I understand it could be quite difficult to get hands on a real barrel, as I don't know how is the wine production around you, in Italy everybody does wine, and they need to change their barrels from time to time, so it 'isn't such an economic problem here, that's why I suggested.

About drinking marsala, or some beer tasting similar to marsala, it is certainly something you can't do in pints, that's for sure. I come from Sicily which is the homeland of marsala wine, and we use to drink it in small quantities, pairing off some cake, at the and of a good dinner. The most famous craft beer producer in Italy made a trademark in doing this "liquorous-winous" beers, and as is an expert in marketing he sells it as "meditation beers, good to drink solwly beside a fireplace".

Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #64
scottyg354
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I mash my IIPA at 154 and it has a nice mild sweetness to it. Not to cloying. My standard IPA I mash at 149-150 and add a little honey. I like it dry and hopppy.

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #65
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNotes View Post
I meant to ask earlier...but if you are still checking in on this thread, are there any tricks to help get a better seal on a swing top? I'm wondering if there could be some kind of petroleum jelly type compound to put on the gasket to help give a good seal? Or maybe some sort of food-grade adhesive, or even just some sugar water or molassas or something to give it just a tiny bit more "sticking" power to keep those little CO2 molecules from bouncing out past the gasket.
You can buy replacement gaskets. New gaskets should work flawlessly. Also ensure your bottle lip is clean.

How has the beer turned out?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #66
LowNotes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian View Post
You can buy replacement gaskets. New gaskets should work flawlessly. Also ensure your bottle lip is clean.

How has the beer turned out?
Cool, the gaskets look good, perfect in fact. I still need to de-label the bottles, but I have about 20 of the Trader Joes flip-tops now and am still planning on using them. It sounds like most people haven't had any issues with this type of bottle/top.

The beer is still in secondary, but I am planning to bottle it this weekend. I dry hopped it 6 days ago. 2oz each cascade and centennial, I had originally planned on 14 days, but sort of forgot to put it in until later than planned, so now it will be more like a 8-9 day dry hop, but it seems like most people don't recommend the full 2 weeks anyway.

When I bottle it I can finally take my FG reading, so I am pretty excited. I won't be tasting the final product until about 2 months have passed, and ultimately I wasn't really expecting it to be ready until about 3 months in bottles.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #67
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bigger beers tend to take longer to carb up too so you'll be looking at a bit for that whole process. I'm curious how low your gravity is/high your abv is.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #68
LowNotes
Recipes 

Bottled this last night finally after 12 days on my dry hop. After my trub loss (lots of hops left in the secondary) I only ended up with 2.5g in the bottling bucket, which is a lot less than I expected.

I finally found my FG: 1.038

Not too bad, in fact it comes in at exactly 10.0 ABV which is what I have been using as my expected ABV when telling people about it. It will be pretty sweet and malty, but that was to be expected. It looked and smelled great. I took some photos, I'll try and upload them later this week. First bottle will be opened up around 7/15/13, I was able to fill 16 of the 500mL swing tops I had, plus 1 22oz bomber and 2 12oz bottles.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #69
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Wow that's a high FG. REALLY high. I hope it doesn't find to be too sweet.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #70
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian View Post
Wow that's a high FG. REALLY high. I hope it doesn't find to be too sweet.
I hope they don't explode.

Dried Apricot Cider Ale
Indeed "Burr Grinder" Clone
Breakfast in Beer
Pumpkin Latte
Heady the Elder
Primary:

(1) Therman Merman (IPA)

Secondary:
(1) Drunken Donut aging on Sugar Whiskey Staves, vanilla beans, knob creek, and disarrono.

Quick Reply