The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > OG on IIPA was a little high...1.115

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #51
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Wow! Was that a recipe for 10G? Definitely going to follow this as it develops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #52
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hehe, nope, it was actually for 4g since I couldn't get all that grain in my brew pot with my usual amount of strike water for 5g in the fermenter. There's a whole lot of sugar in that wort, that is for sure.

So I did a little reading of the BJCP style guidelines for English/American IPA/IIPA and English/American Barleywines, and based on what I read there I am now backtracking on using wood while aging, as wood flavors were specifically stated to NOT be part of the style. Normally, I am all for experimentation and don't care if something fits a specific "style" as long as it tastes good, but since this is my first foray into high gravity ale I am trying to get something close to the "official" taste as a benchmark. Also, based on what I read my beer will almost certainly fall into the American Barleywine category, which does allow for some hop flavor and bitterness, as opposed to the English Barleywine which is mostly malt influenced.

I need to double check the dates, but I think I will be adding my dry hop next weekend, and bottling 2 weeks after that. I'll try and take some photos on bottling day, and will definitely post my FG since that is really the big question mark for this beer. It has a really nice dark amber color right now, but that is about all I know about it!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #53
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Almost 20 lbs of grain plus corn sugar for a 3 gallon batch..man, my beers are child's play - this is hardcore! I think you're in QuadIPA territory - awesome!! KEep us posted

Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #54
UnDeadly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a little late to the party here, but on carbing with swing-tops...

I have used a variety of swing tops with good, but not perfect, results. The long, thin German Altbier bottles, the more standard pint bottles, and 32oz swing top growlers. I have had great results with the two smaller sizes, but only batting around .600 with the big boys.

The reason is not the glass, nothing has broken on me, it's the seal itself. PSI spikes during bottle conditioning, as the yeast produces CO2 faster than can be absorbed back into the liquid. So for a period of time there, the pressure is quite high in the bottle, and the seal fails. The majority of the CO2 then escapes, leaving you with little to no carbonation returning to the liquid.

RukusDM did an experiment on it, which can be seen here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/bott...review-205862/

Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #55
Chadwick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would love to see how this turns out. I have an attempt at my first barleywine in the primary right now. OG was 1.2+ something. I was shooting for 1.100 and apparently over shot it by a little. lol.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #56
s4l
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Any updates?

Winter Warmer

**In Primary**
Empty. :(

**Bottled**
NB Irish Red - 02 Apr 13
BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde - 28 Apr 13

# of Brews: 2 // Total # of Gallons: 10

Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #57
LowNotes
Recipes 

No it has been in secondary for 1.5 months now. I meant to dry-hop it this past weekend, but got sidetracked with guests and gardening stuff and will be doing it tonight instead. 2 weeks on the dry-hop and then I am going to bottle it and age for 3 months. It has been a long slow brew, and I am dying for it to be ready...for now I am just happy that there are zero signs of infection, and the beer has a nice, fairly dark and rich color in the secondary.

I will definitely be posting an update on the FG when I bottle it, and try and throw a few pics together as well. I have been collecting more of the TJ's swingtops for bottling, and will eventually post results on carbing in those as well.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #58
LowNotes
Recipes 

Oh, well I guess there is one sort-of update...

I checked my primary thermometer when doing a more recent brew, and I think it might have been off by 4-5 degrees in the high direction. I calibrated it against 2 other thermometers and it was about 4 degrees hot, so it is looking like my mash temp of 158* may in reality have been closer to 154*.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #59
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNotes View Post
Oh, well I guess there is one sort-of update...

I checked my primary thermometer when doing a more recent brew, and I think it might have been off by 4-5 degrees in the high direction. I calibrated it against 2 other thermometers and it was about 4 degrees hot, so it is looking like my mash temp of 158* may in reality have been closer to 154*.
Glad to hear this for your sake. Both for this beer and future brews. I'm looking forward to hearing how this monster does turn out. Thanks for the updates!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #60
nucciocioccio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another option could be to find a barrel used for wine and simply put your beer in it, then let it age for veeeeeeeery long time (a year?). Is something many professional brewers do in Italy, obtaining a lactic acid fermentation that dries and sours the beer, resulting with something similar to a liquorous wine like porto or marsala. Only need a used barrel, space, time and patience.

Quick Reply