Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > OG on IIPA was a little high...1.115

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #41
LowNotes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky21 View Post
If it is too sweet try oak aging. The wood should add some tannins and a drying mouthfeel. Usually work best in sweet beers anyways.
Hmmm, that is an interesting idea. I've never used wood chips before, but since I am going to be bulk aging it already, it wwould certainly be easy to do in this case.

I racked it to secondary last weekend, and am now just waiting another 5 weeks before adding my dry-hop.

One problem is I still don't have a FG...I don't have a good graduated-cylinder to do gravity readings, and I obviously dont wat to plop the hydrometer into a carboy. Normally I take readings straight in the bucket, one right at pitching time, and then my FG after transfering to the bottling bucket...

I suppose I could transfer it from the carboy to a bottling bucket for the last month of aging...take my reading and if it is high, add wood chips/cubes. Or hell, maybe I will add the wood no matter what...are there any downsides to adding oak to an IIPA/Barleywine like this? Hell...I suppose I could even split the batch up and add wood to one, but not the other, so there can be a side-by-side comparison at the end, but that might be more work than I want to do, especially since I only have about 3g to start with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #42
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well if you add chips you only need a week or two. You could try taking a sample and adding a chip to it for about 15 minutes to see if the flavors meld. In tests that I've done, you can get a pretty good idea how the wood will taste when you are using small samples. The wood flavor can impart very quickly.

The downside to having an IPA with oak could be a too much perceived bitterness. As your's had such a high OG and presumably will have a high FG then this shouldn't be a problem.

Obviously, tasting it now will give you an idea as to whether or not it is too sweet for you. I see no downside in oaking, just make sure you sanitize and dont add too much. Subtlety, is the key. 1-2 oz. in a 3 gallon batch would probably be good. But again, a test in a glass of it may be a good start. The actual FG doesn't matter that much compared to the flavor, IMO.

IPA
Kolsch
Oud Bruin
Coffee IPA
Cream Ale
Mexican Stout in BB

Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #43
LowNotes
Recipes 

What is the preferred method of sanitizing the wood? Boiling? If so is there any risk of boiling too long and removing flavoring compounds? Do you pull the boiled wood out and add, or just dump the boiled liquid in with the wood?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #44
Chingis74
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNotes
What is the preferred method of sanitizing the wood? Boiling? If so is there any risk of boiling too long and removing flavoring compounds? Do you pull the boiled wood out and add, or just dump the boiled liquid in with the wood?
You can hit them with some quick sanitizer or my personal favorite, soak them in some whiskey and then dump into carboy

Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #45
trojandux
Recipes 

You could always put it on Brett. It will break down more of the unfermentables, and then eat them drying it up. It might add a funk but could be something fun to play with.

Primary: None
Secondary: Double IPA
Keg1:Hometown Brew (California Common)
Keg2:Ashley Blair's Blonde
Keg3:None
Bottles:Holiday Porter, Organic Cider

Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #46
LowNotes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingis74 View Post
You can hit them with some quick sanitizer or my personal favorite, soak them in some whiskey and then dump into carboy
OOoooo, I like the soaked-in-liquor idea. Would whiskey be good with an IPA though, or would something with less flavor like vodka be better? I tend to pair whiskeys/bourbans with porters/stouts in my mind, but maybe that is just me not thinking outside the box. Are there any beers that pair well with rum? Spiced rum is probably my favorite liquor (I mostly stick to beer/wine though....all of my bad drunk experiences were from liquor) but I don't know if the spices will lend itself to beer. I guess there will be minimal flavors being imparted anyways...so it likely doesn't matter.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #47
LowNotes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojandux View Post
You could always put it on Brett. It will break down more of the unfermentables, and then eat them drying it up. It might add a funk but could be something fun to play with.
I have plans to do a sour beer soon, I think for this one I'll just live with the results and learn from it. It is my first IIPA so I want to try and see it through without making any radical changes.

That said if it is nasty after all my aging, putting it back in a bucket and tossing in some Brett might be a better alternative to tossing it all. This beer was damned expensive to brew.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #48
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I used spiced rum for a Breakfast stout and it came out well. I'm not sure how the flavors would translate for an IIPA. Non-spiced might work or a flavored vodka, like grapefruit, might fit well though. Just make sure you don't go overboard. I wouldn't use very much of any liquor personally. A little goes a long way.

IPA
Kolsch
Oud Bruin
Coffee IPA
Cream Ale
Mexican Stout in BB

Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #49
LowNotes
Recipes 

Hmmm, flavored vodka might not be a bad idea if I see something at the store that should blend well. And I would only be adding a very small amount, in fact I would only soak the wood in it, and then add the wood chips, no actual liquid. So it is probably moot, but if I have to sanitize it anyways I figure it might be worth giving it a whirl.

Now I have a decision...drive 20 minutes each way to the homebrew shop...or order something online and pay for the shipping. I just placed a big order a couple weeks ago, so I don't need anything but wood. D'oh!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #50
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 98

If you don't want the alcohol flavor and just the wood, I would just steam the cubes in a small amount of water in the microwave then dump the wood and water and all into the beer. This is a really good article that tells you a lot about wood aging: http://morebeer.com/content/using_oak_in_beer. It also tells you the best way to sanitize the wood. I would definitely give it a read!

Quick Reply