Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > OG on IIPA was a little high...1.115

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
LowNotes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default OG on IIPA was a little high...1.115

I brewed a beer that was supposed to be an IIPA...but the OG ended up at 1.115. Is this still likely going to end up in the acceptable range, and would I have to do anythign special to it, like add some champagne yeast to do additional fermentation?

I haven't taken an FG yet, so I don't know what it went down to at all...I pitched a bunch of S-05 from a batch I washed a few months ago. I also only made a 3 gallon batch...but hopped it as if it was a full 5g batch...so it might be way overboard on Maltiness, Hoppiness and ABV... which I am fine with as this is supposed to be something kind of special, but this is way higher than any other OG I've had and am feeling like I am in slightly uncharted territory...

Any advice, critique, or general wisdom would be welcomed. Oh, here is what went into it:

For 3 gallons post-boil (might be closer to 3.5, fermented in carboy with no volume markings):
16lbs 2-row
1lb 10oz vienna
13oz cara 10
13oz carafoam
3oz honey malt
13oz corn sugar

-1.0 oz Columbus Hops (90 Minutes)
-1.0 oz Nugget Hops (90 Minutes)
-1.0 oz Centennial Hops (35 Minutes)
-1.0 oz Cascade Hops (20 Minutes)
-1.0 oz Centennial Hops (15 Minutes)
-1.0 oz Cascade Hops (10 Minutes)
-1.0 oz Centennial Hops (5 Minutes)
-0.5 oz Cascade Hops (3 Minutes)
-0.5 oz Centennial Hops (2 Minutes)
-1.0 oz Simcoe Hops (1 Minutes)
-1.0 oz Galaxy Hops (1 Minutes)

Dry hop 2oz each cascade and centennial, but haven't done this yet.

Mashed at 158*, fermented at 68*, is currently aging in primary before transfer to secondary for further aging and dry hopping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would see where the US-05 takes the FG to. If at that point you think it is still to sweet and could use some more fermentation, you could probably pitch some champagne yeast or something with a higher alcohol tolerance to bring it down a bit more.

That being said, I am only guessing and am equally interested to know the outcome of this.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
iowabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The fact that you mashed so high might not help your attenuation much.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah that's going to lead to a lot of residual sweetness

Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts

How long did you mash it for? A longer mash might've still given the beta amylase time to work a bit. You won't know until you get a FG though.

I've never used champagne yeast in a beer, but I've heard others say they didn't like it.

There's a thread going on right now about a stout that's too sweet too. the main suggestion on that one is to brew another lighter batch and blend them. (or raise the IBUs with a hop tea... That idea probably won't work for yours though)

Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
LowNotes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabrew View Post
The fact that you mashed so high might not help your attenuation much.
Yeah, was supposed to be 152*...but I had some issues getting the temps right since I am used to doing 5g batches with closer to 14-15lbs total grain...I thought the extra grain:water ratio would result in more heat loss at mash-in, so I used a higher strike temp than normal...obviously I didn't get it right

Afterwards I figured the extra non-fermetnables might help balance out the extra hops so I wasn't worried...but then the OG was so I have been kind of fretting if I need to do anything extra to try and compensate at this point.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
LowNotes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989 View Post
How long did you mash it for? A longer mash might've still given the beta amylase time to work a bit. You won't know until you get a FG though.

I've never used champagne yeast in a beer, but I've heard others say they didn't like it.

There's a thread going on right now about a stout that's too sweet too. the main suggestion on that one is to brew another lighter batch and blend them. (or raise the IBUs with a hop tea... That idea probably won't work for yours though)
Mash was 60 minutes, which is all I have ever done. I did a mash out by raising the temp to 170* over a 10 minute period too.

Yeah...I thought I had read something about using champagne yeast for extra high ABV beers since it is better suited to the environment, but my only experience with the stuff is apfelwein, and in that it takes the FG down below 1.000 for me everytime, and I defintely wouldn't want it doing that to my IIPA. I literally cringed at the thought when I typed that...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Next time use this calculator to help you with your strike water temp. Once you get a handle on your equipment loss this makes figuring out water volumes and temps a piece of cake!

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

I find that this calculator is spot on with mash temp IF I preheat my mash tun first (52 qt rectangular cooler) with hot tap water.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

maltiness/hoppyness balance can be checked by bitterness ratio

IBU/(1-OG) = bitterness ratio. for IIPA that can be .667 to 1.714

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 47 Posts

I had a bock that the og was 1.093 it took 3 months before it started tasting good. But man what a kick, drink one 16 oz and you couldnt get out of the chair. Not too sweet but had a chocolate and coffee taste.

Quick Reply