Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Off taste hefe, New brewer needs help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Green_Man
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Off taste hefe, New brewer needs help!

I just tried my bottle first bottle of a partial mash hefeweizen that I brewed and it has a real sweet bubblegum with little or no bannana or cloves taste. This is my first time brewing a hefeweizen and it does not really taste like any hefeweizens I have had. It is way too sweet. The beer seems to be fully or close to fully carbonated. I used Wyeast Bavarian wheat 3638 strain. The yeast took about 3 days to start going but once it started it seemed to ferment well. I waited about 16 days after fermentation began and I was seeing bubbles in my blow off tube every 2 minutes or so. The batch of beer does not seem to be infected. I did not take any gravity readings. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have been looking around and I can't find anyone else who seems to have this problem with a hefe. It was only bottled about 2 weeks ago. Should I let it age or store my bottles at a warmer temperature. It is currently sitting in my basement which is about 65 degrees Fahrenheit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

id let it go another 2 weeks at room temp and then try it again. 2 weeks in the bottle is too short of a time to judge a beer, even a hefe.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I made a hefe a while back with 3638, and I thought it was too candy/bubblegummy. I think 3068 is better.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Definitely give it another few weeks in the bottle. Just recently I had a whit beer that tasted harsh and chemically at 2 weeks in the bottle--at 4 weeks it tastes awesome.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
ReverseMonk
Recipes 

Bubble gum is a very typical hefe flavor. I think it is more pronounced (over the clove and banana) if the beer is under-attenuated, which sounds like your case if the beer is sweet. You can also achieve less bubble gum by pitching proper cell counts and keeping fermentation between 65-70 with most hefe strains.

Do you know your actual fermentation temp and final gravity?

Last edited by ReverseMonk; 05-24-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I believe the fermentation temp has a big effect on the esters. Higher temps produce the bubble gum. Per Jamil Z's advice I have been fermenting my hefe's at 62. Works great at that temp and no bubble gum.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

+1 to ferm temps. I just did a Bavarian Hefe at 62-64 degrees (frozen ice bottles in a tub; no problem). That was the temp of the wort, per the stick on thermometer on my bucket.
It is outstanding!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
Green_Man
Recipes 

I am hoping my brew just needs a little more time in bottles because when I racked from the primary it had a typical hefe smell with hints of banana and cloves. I just got worried because when I was reading up on this style most people were saying that hefeweizens were best young. As for fermenting temp I really don't have the resources to control the temperature constant being a college student. I just had it sitting in a room on the first floor of my house, but I'd say the temp while it was fermenting ranged from about 70 to low 60's degrees Fahrenheit. I will give it two more weeks and lets you guys know how it turns out.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Brocster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Man View Post
I am hoping my brew just needs a little more time in bottles because when I racked from the primary it had a typical hefe smell with hints of banana and cloves. I just got worried because when I was reading up on this style most people were saying that hefeweizens were best young. As for fermenting temp I really don't have the resources to control the temperature constant being a college student. I just had it sitting in a room on the first floor of my house, but I'd say the temp while it was fermenting ranged from about 70 to low 60's degrees Fahrenheit. I will give it two more weeks and lets you guys know how it turns out.
Lot's of things could be at play, from temps to underpitching. I use 3056 and pitch a starter, fermenting in the low 60's ambient. This gives me a crisp, clovey hefe with a hint of banana. Higher temps, less attenuation and yeast strains all could give a much more bubblegum flavor.

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Old 05-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

+1 on fermentation temps again. Bubblegum flavor most likely from too high of a primary fermentation temp.

If you can devise a way to accurately control the wort temp during fermentation, you'll notice a big reduction in off flavors across the board in all styles that you brew. Even something as simple as a big cooler or tub filled with water can help stabilize the temps where you want them for an ale. Freeze water in 2 liter bottles and float them in the tub or cooler one at a time, changing once or twice a day. Drape an old t-shirt over the carboy and let it soak up the cool water from the tub..that gets me into the mid-low 60's in my house when my ferm chamber is full, or at lager temps. Cheap and easy!

Last edited by strat_thru_marshall; 05-27-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Tags
bad beer, bavarian wheat, hefeweizen, problems, wyeast

Quick Reply