Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Off flavor in Porter before bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
I did the Midwest Porter, http://www.midwestsupplies.com/porte...grain-kit.html

I didn't end up using the yeast I originally got for this Porter from Midwest. I had purchased the wyeast London ale 1028 for this but I brewed the Cream Stout (which used the same yeast) a week before and had way better efficiency then I had planned. Since I didn't have a starter ready I pitched both Wyeast London ale packets. So I ended up getting White Labs Burton Ale from LHBS for the Porter. I did a starter for this and it reached the FG with no problems. The Porter looks fine just smells bready and yeasty which I'm starting to think the yeast was bad. It does not taste like a porter at all because of this.
If the yeast performed and fermented and you hit all your numbers then the yeast wasn't bad, it did what it was supposed to do. Bready and yeasty could just be because the beer is just not ready yet and needs more time time, or the yeast brought these characteristics out of the grain bill used.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
hawkeyes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
If the yeast performed and fermented and you hit all your numbers then the yeast wasn't bad, it did what it was supposed to do. Bready and yeasty could just be because the beer is just not ready yet and needs more time time, or the yeast brought these characteristics out of the grain bill used.
I was thinking about cold crashing this for a few days and see if it improves. What do you think?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You tasted green un-carbed beer. Bottle it and try one in a few weeks. Bet you it tastes alot better. I love sampling beer when I check gravity and when I bottle. Some times it's pretty good but most times it doesn't taste good at all. A few times I thought I had made vinegar yet given time I had great beer. Just give it time to carb and I bet you will have a great beer. I found it is really hard to f up beer so bad that it is not drinkable.

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Old 05-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Sorry I did not pick up on the "Before bottling" aspect, yes, you cannot truly judge a beer before it has been packaged and conditioned/carbonated. Most "green beer" samples do not give a beer the justice it deserves so you need to package it, carbonate it, condition it and then taste it and it will be wonderful!

That being said I do sample my beer before packaging because it is a starting point for note taking on taste, flavor, aroma and discerning any issues that may determine whether the beer will need more time and initial impressions but I do not place a lot of weight on these samples

Quick Reply