Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Off flavor has returned!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidelt844 View Post
I'm using the whole house filter from Lowe's; there's a writeup on here from someone else doing it.
Is it a carbon block filter? A regular run of the mill carbon filter will not remove more than 60 or 70% of the chloramine, even at .5 gpm. And if you are going faster than .5 gpm no 10" filter will remove chloramine, it needs the contact time.

Chloramine levels are highly variable in our water supply, I had good and bad batches from different times using a cheap carbon filter before I learned that you need a better filter or Campden.

Plenty of folks use the Campden tablets, unless you are going to buy a filter which you research and know will remove the chloramines I urge you to use them, they are cheap and easy while throwing out beer is not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
Sudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I've been chasing a funky off flavor taste in my beers for months. My green beers taste okay for green that is. But later they develop a medicinal taste which seems to get worse with time. The carbonation remains about the same and is normal.

This is what I've found recently.

I had been using a whole house activated charcoal filter to remove my chlorine. I know these work well on chlorine from some studies I did a few years back... or so I thought.

I decided to check my filter's performance just to be sure. My test strips indicated no chlorine.. good. I then checked my tap water... no chlorine. Bad, very bad. I know our water has 2 ppm chlorine per my water report.

What I found was my chlorine test strips were not sensitive to "chloramines" to which my local water suppy had changed some time back. I chased down some "chloramine" test strips from a pet supply (aquarium stuff) and promptly confirmed 2 ppm in my tap water. Once again I tested my filtered water running at an obsceen low flow rate, and it tested 2 ppm... again bad, very bad.

Futher research indicated that most activated carbon filters won't touch chloramines. It's for certain mine doesn't. So... I've been dumping a full dose of chlorine in all my brews.

I further tested the effects of adding a small amount of potassium metabisulfite to my tap water. It instantly eliminates all forms of chlorine even at insanely low levels.

I have hopes this explains my mystery off flavor problem. Time to brew again and see what a tad of potassium metabisulfite can do to eliminate this issue.

Lesson to be learned... Chloramine and chlorine are different beast and one must know this going in or bad things may happen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply