Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Odd AG thing going on right now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
skinfiddler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Odd AG thing going on right now

OK, so I'm trying a Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops. I mash in and check the temp 151degF, close the lid and let it sit for 90min w/o checking. I open the MLT and to my shock, the temp is 143!!

I check for conversion with iodine and it hadn't yet turned. So I added more water to bring up the temps and closed to lid again this time for 30 min. Now when I check w/ iodine it keeps it's color but slowly changes over to black-not good.

Do I even bother proceding with this? Let is sit even longer?

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
~Mark Twain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hmm, well I never say die until the beer is just waaay past saving. In your case you will just have a very fermentable brew. I don't remember that recipe using too many $$ hops, so you may as well keep going.

Remember to pre-heat your MLT next time, I always put a few gallons of boiling water in mine for 30 minutes.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
skinfiddler

Recipes 

Yeah thanks, I DID preheat the MLT by placing the strike water at about 176degF, then let it cool to BeerSmith's indicated strike temp.

I just checked again and the iodine is "behaving" Dang, 2.5 hr mash. And I thought I'd be done and cleaned up by 3:00!!

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
~Mark Twain

Old 08-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
skinfiddler

Recipes 

After all that went on with the mash, I took the OG and noticed that I used double the amount of hops called for in the recipe-what a day.

~Mark Twain

Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinfiddler View Post
After all that went on with the mash, I took the OG and noticed that I used double the amount of hops called for in the recipe-what a day.
So all in all, what was the recipe today!? Haha, double hopped milkstout or something?

Old 08-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
skinfiddler

Recipes 

It was supposed to by my first stab at a light beer. I don't think it will be terrible or anything- just not what I was shooting for.

~Mark Twain

Quick Reply