Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Oatmeal stout too sweet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
jessenugent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oatmeal stout too sweet

Hey everyone, first time poster, long time lurker. I finally have a question that i can't find the answer to searching old threads. Hopefully this is the right place for this thread. If not, please have mercy.
Saturday, 2/19, i brewed my first partial mash using this technique: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/. This was the recipe i used:
3 lbs light DME
3 lbs american 2-row
1.25 lbs flaked oats
8 oz rye oats
10 oz crystal 80
1 oz black patent
1 packet windsor ale yeast
4 oz lactose

Now i know lactose adds unfermentable sugars, but my beer is pretty damn sweet. The OG was about 1041 before adding lactose. I checked it yesterday and it was 1020, and there were no bubbles in the airlock. I racked it to a secondary carboy and it bubbled rapidly for a few seconds after i replaced the airlock and moved it, but soon stopped. I'm hopeful that it is still fermenting and will dry out a tad.

The author from the thread i got the method, suggests a floating thermometer and i'm sure that is for a reason because when i was using my glass thermometer, i had difficulty measuring a consistent temp.During the mash, it seems as though the bottom of the pot was at about 158 while the middle-top was 156-145. My guess is that my mash temp was off and i've got more unfermentable sugars than originally anticipated. If that's the case would adding some sugar help dry it out in a "good" way? Anybody have any similar experiences and/or advice? thanks,
-Jesse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
TheBeerist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think you answered your own question with the 4oz of lactose. I brewed a stout over the holidays, and it was sweet as it was with no lactose. Remember that carbonating will cut back on the sweetness.

One question though, what exactly is "8 oz rye oats"? Rye and oats are two diff. grains.

Cheers.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Corn sugar can help kick start the yeast and dry out the finish. To much and you end up with thin beer..5lb should be helpful.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
jessenugent
Recipes 

cool thanks. yeah hopefully the cold+carb=better taste. sry i meant flaked rye. Still considering corn sugar although i definately dont want to ruin a good beer, because although sweet, it has a really nice body. Thanks for the quick replys!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

Seems like a stopped fermentation. Ending at 1.020 when starting at 1.041 is only 51% attenuation. You should be shooting for 70% at the least. 4oz. of lactose will only add about two points to your OG on a 5 gallons batch (pretty negligible). I wouldn't add sugar at this point as you run the risk of it not fermenting out as well, and only becoming sweeter. Since you've already racked it off the main yeast cake, I'd build a big fresh starter and pitch it at high krausen to see if you can get it started again.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
jessenugent
Recipes 

A little over a week ago, i ended up re-pitching the same yeast(windsor) in a foamy starter. It built up a tiny layer of krausen over night and dissipated through the second night. I checked gravity a couple days ago and it read 1020. It still tastes pretty sweet although it does seem a little dryer. I'm gonna let it go for another week and keg it.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
jessenugent
Recipes 

I finally decided to keg this 2+ weeks after re-pitching. The final gravity is the same at 1020 surprisingly. The taste is entirely different though, and it seemed to dry out and mellow quite a bit. It's actually one of the more pleasant brews i've tasted un-carbed and at room temp. I can tell it's low abv by taste and gravity which for me, is a good thing as my tolerance is quite low and that means i can drink more =D. I'm looking forward to this "session stout", and i'll update again after its carbed and chilled.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Leave that stout in the keg for another month and I think you will find that you have a totally different beer and that it isn't as low alcohol as you now think. It takes way more time for a stout to mature than most people think and once it comes together, I think you will find it is no longer as sweet either.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

+1 4oz of Lactose...

+1 Let it sit for a bit with the right amount of carbonation and it will mellow out and taste ever better than it already does...

Last bit, if you like it, don't sweat the gravity...

Old 03-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I had a similar problem with an Oatmeal Stout. It finished at 1.020 too and was a little too sweet. 2 weeks later with a tad more carbonation it is a really good beer. The carbonation really helps to cut the sweetness.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Quick Reply