Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Oatmeal Stout - still stuck

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
stevea1210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Oatmeal Stout - still stuck

I brewed an Oatmeal stout on 12/26 (og 1.067). I went to keg the beer on 1/29, but the fg was only 1.025. My basement had gotten cold, and I figured the s-04 went to sleep on me.

I moved the beer up to the kitchen, and waited a week. I checked tonight, and the fg is at 1.023. It did ferment a little more, but still higher than beersmiths estimate.

beersmith og est was 1.057. I actually got 1.067 due to "extra special efficiency day". Beersmiths fg estimate is 1.015, and I'm at 1.023.

I'm looking for opinions on if I should keg now, repitch, or something else. I did rouse again today. I am starting to want this batch off of the yeast cake, as it has been almost 6 weeks on the cake. I haven't left a beer that long in primary.

thoughts?

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Nanobru
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

By a strip heater to keep it at a nice fermentation temperature. Once you get it warm enough (you have a fermometer right?), if it does not go back into fermentation after a quick rousing, I would transfer and repitch.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It's probably done. If I was you and I was thirsty I'd keg it.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keg! If you were bottling I could understand the concern. How does it taste?! Beersmith's estimate just assumes 75% attenuation no matter what yeast you select. That's more than I often get, especially with S-04. My Irish Red used S-04 and I got about 60% attenuation. You got 64%!

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had a PM oatmeal stout do the same thing (although with Windsor yeast). It got stuck at 1.024. I repitched with Nottingham and warmed it up...no change. I finally just bottled it. It's a little sweet for my taste, but everyone who has tried it loves it. (Took it to a family party yesterday and got lots of complements.) My opinion is that 1.024 isn't really all that sweet. Yeah, it's very slightly sweet, but only noticeable to the picky drinkers.

This is the batch that got me to work out a system to control fermentation temps. I did this batch during the fall (in New England) and we had a dramatic temperature drop outside (which makes my basement cold). My fermentor dropped below 60F. I think that put the yeast to sleep. Now I use a water bath and aquarium heater.

Quick Reply