The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Oatmeal Stout First Go Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
kramberry20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oatmeal Stout First Go Question

I am on my 4th all grain batch and I have decided to try an Oatmeal Stout. My recipe is as follows:
9# 2 row
8 oz Oats
12 oz Chocolate Malt
12 oz roasted barley
1 oz fuggle hops
and irish ale wyeast

My question is when I am fermenting what temperature should this batch be at for the primary and secondary fermentation. Any suggestions will help as I am still new to all grain brewing and only a year into brewing in general.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Fermentation temperature should be 62-72F.

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2
Primary 3 - Belgium Triple
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout, ESB, Belgium Light.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What type of mash tun are you using?

I ask because you will probably want to use rice hulls with oats. They are literally the gummiest thing I have ever put in beer.

Personally I would increase the oats to at least 1#, I generally use 1.5# per 5 gal batch to really get that creamy smoothness. Also make sure that they are instant or flaked oats.

What mash temp were you thinking? I mash at 154 for 60 on mine, which is a bit on the dry side, and yours will be even more dry than mine with 0 caramel malts in there.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 04-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
chickens4life
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I second increasing the oats to at least a pound.
For fermentation temps, a steady temp somewhere in the mid sixties would probably be best.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
kafkasbug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Use a blow-off tube. My first Oatmeal Stout ended up clogging my airlock and then blowing the lid off my Ale Pale and sending beer 4 feet up the kitchen wall.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bump the oats (I'd go at least a pound). I think my sweet spot is at about 14% of the grist. Rice hulls probably isnt necessary, oats are gummy but I've gone as high as 20% without stuck sparges (in a cooler with a false bottom).

Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks good but I agree with the others on adding about 1-1.5 pounds of oats. I had a stuck sparge once on an oatmeal stout with 1 pound of oats. Done about 4 others since then with out a problem. The rice hills wouldn't hurt to add but probably not entirely necessary. Also agree with mid to high 60's for fermentation temp.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
BigRock947
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I've only had 2 stuck sparges and both were Oatmeal Stouts so I would add the rice hulls just as a precaution...it'll save you from a lot of headaches.

Cheers,

Mark

Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

More oats. And consider lightly toasting them to get even more oat flavor. I'd ferment below 70F, 68F if you can. Irish ale yeast is a low attenuator so you should get some residual sugars left after fermentation, but I'd probably add a little crystal/caramel malt.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
kramberry20
Recipes 

Thanks to all, long week of work so just getting around to reading replies. I see the consensus is to add more oats so I think I will bump it up to about 1.5# and see what that gives me. Also I am planning on about 2 wk primary and 2 wk secondary in carboy. Do I even need to worry about putting in carboy or should I just leave in primary for a bit longer? Thanks again

Quick Reply