Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
calebstringer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Default Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout

Hi guys, I brewed an Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout from AHS last week. The directions do not specify how long to leave the stout in the secondary on the oak and whiskey (actually, Im going to use a bourbon instead) Any suggestions? Plan is two weeks in the primary, dump the trub and harvest the yeast, and add the oak and bourbon to it. I know it needs aged for 3-6 months, but is that entire time in the secondary? Or should I be doing two weeks primary, two weeks secondary, then bottle and age for 3-6?

Thanks

Caleb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Did the recipe kit come with oak chips or cubes? If chips, they'll quickly impart a lot of intense oak flavor in about 2 weeks. If cubes, you can let them ride for months. Either way, boil them for a good 10 minutes+ before adding to your secondary for bulk aging.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
JakeFegely
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I just did my first oaked bourbon beer ( a wee heavy). I read a number of different approaches. In my case I let it get through primary,then racked to secondary on top of oak chips (that had been soaked in bourbon for about 2 months). I believe the adding of oak and bourbon flavors is separate from the aging. I sampled the beer a few times when it was on the oak and decided to bottle it after 1 month on the chips. That was last week. Now I'll let it sit until the fall - or I get too impatient - whichever comes first!

Bottom line - I'd say sample occasionally until you have the oak/bourbon flavor you want, then package and let it age.

I thought raising kids required patience until I started trying to convince yeast to make beer.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
calebstringer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Did the recipe kit come with oak chips or cubes? If chips, they'll quickly impart a lot of intense oak flavor in about 2 weeks. If cubes, you can let them ride for months. Either way, boil them for a good 10 minutes+ before adding to your secondary for bulk aging.
It came with chips...in fact, half the bag almost seems like sawdust....that should be fun to clarify out....

But I think I will take that route. Two weeks on the Oak, then bottle.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstringer View Post
It came with chips...in fact, half the bag almost seems like sawdust....that should be fun to clarify out....

But I think I will take that route. Two weeks on the Oak, then bottle.

Thanks!
I think I've heard of some of the 'Brewer's Best' kits coming with a powdered, toasted oak, perhaps it's similar. You could probably use a sanitized muslin hopsack and a coffee filter and run it through that. That way you could add your oak sack for a couple weeks and pull it once you like the taste and continue to bulk age, if you like. It's been my experience that even overwhelming oakiness will age out over time (years). Good luck with your stout, cheers.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
boredstate
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

sorry for the bump, but brewing this same kit saturday and was wondering the same thing about the oak chips.. I'm kind of weary about adding 375ml of maker's mark as suggested.. i might try half of that & add more if needed. any recommendations there?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredstate View Post
sorry for the bump, but brewing this same kit saturday and was wondering the same thing about the oak chips.. I'm kind of weary about adding 375ml of maker's mark as suggested.. i might try half of that & add more if needed. any recommendations there?

When adding liquor, you can always add more but you can't take it out. Add to taste.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
MrTheKing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I added 125ml to a vanilla bourbon porter I brewed which came out fantastic. I wouldn't think of adding any more than that though. I had a Makers Mark stout at Great Divides anniversary party that tasted like almost straight mm, I could barely drink it - maybe in the winter months it would be better but outside in the summer...ugh

Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
HawksBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1031 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

375ml is going to give you a solid bourbon taste that will always be towards the front of the flavor palette. I've experimented w/ everything between 6-16oz (you'll have to convert the other numbers, but for reference 375ml=12.68oz) and I found 10oz to be the sweet spot for a 5 gallon batch. You still get really good bourbon flavor, but it rides somewhere in the middle of the flavor palette. As posted by MrTheKing, 125ml or roughly 4-5oz will give you a nice essence of bourbon.

When it all comes down to it, think about what YOU are looking for. I know it's an imperial, but is it one that you plan on having a few of at a time? Or is it going to be a fireside sipper from a snifter where one is enough?

As a side note, bourbon stouts/porters are my absolute favorite to brew and drink. The only problem is waiting for them to mature!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
boredstate
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Either way, boil them for a good 10 minutes+ before adding to your secondary for bulk aging.
i assume you mean to boil them for sanitization purposes, but wouldn't soaking them in maker's for a few days effectively sanitize them?

Quick Reply